Chapter 17

Several weeks later

Heather sat in her office on a Tuesday morning as she reviewed some important documents and budgeting files. Her eyes widened when she noticed a familiar figure in the corridor through her office windows. It was Nathan, who she hadn't seen in awhile.

Nathan had taken the past few weeks off work, the reason being that he needed to deal with some 'family issues', so Heather hadn't had a chance to confront him about what he had done to Alejandro.

Today would be her chance.

She took a deep breath and then got up from her seat and made her way over to Nathan's office.

"Heather, it's so great to see you again! You look—" Nathan beamed when he saw Heather standing at his door.

"Nathan, I'm just going to cut to the chase. I know you framed Alejandro with those documents that day after the magazine photoshoot," Heather interrupted him and folded her arms as she walked inside towards where Nathan was seated.

Nathan's eyes widened, but only for a split second. The next moment, he furrowed his brows and pretended to act like someone in deep remorse and shame.

"Heather, I'm so sorry, I was actually going to talk to you about this today. I've been dealing with some family issues at home. My mom has been sick and I haven't been in a good headspace. It was my mistake for letting my personal issues interfere with work and I take full responsibility. I shouldn't have pulled that stunt and let out all my frustrations and anger on Alejandro that day. But I promise you that I am doing much better now after my break and that it was a one-off incident that won't ever happen again," Nathan replied.

Heather raised a brow as she listened to Nathan speak. She wasn't expecting this reaction and for him to admit his guilt so easily.

But there was an obvious loophole in what he had just said.

She thought back to the time when she went out on a date with him, and he had told her that he wasn't close with his family.

She also remembered that he had taken her to a Spanish restaurant, and had told her that he was learning Spanish. Looking back, surely that couldn't have been a coincidence. But how did Nathan know about Alejandro back then?

There was definitely something very suspicious about this.

When she initially asked Nathan to join her business back in college, she trusted him. But now, she felt that his mask was slowly being unveiled, and that he was also hiding something else. She needed to dig deeper.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

"Alright, fine, I'm going to let it go this time. But if something like that happens ever again, know that you can say goodbye to your job and position here," Heather eventually said with finality in her voice.

Nathan smiled. "Thank you for giving me another chance, Heather. I promise that it won't happen again."

Heather faked a smile back and then proceeded to make her way back to her own office.

Nathan let out a sly grin as he watched Heather walk out. Only a couple of more weeks left. She has no idea what's coming to her.

Meanwhile, as Heather sat back down in her office, her phone lit up with a soft 'ding' sound. She opened her notifications to see a new text from Alejandro.

Mi amor, I can't wait to pick you up and see you tonight ♥️

Time: 6 PM

Dress code: anything because you look good in everything ♥️