Secrets in the Garden

Lady Historia, Duchess of Stohess was bored. When she was a little girl, all she dreamed of was being a Princess. Posh trash, fancy balls, sparkling gowns, and a handsome Prince.

Now at the age of 13 none of that seemed to matter to Historia. Her days seemed endless now and her future bleak. She would soon become of age to marry in 3 years. Since she was a child suitors where lined up.

Tonight, the wealthy and the royal family were gathered at the Wall Rose Castle, her for Frieda's debut. His sister's only job tonight was to look beautiful, act like a lady, and find a future husband.  Frieda has the first two parts down. She looked radiant, her shiny black hair falling in loose curls around her shoulder, she dazzled in her deep greens  ball gown. As if she was floating on a cloud, she gracefully moved about the room. She had plenty of Lords and Dukes eager for her hand, but Historia knew her sister better than anyone.

Historia stood against the wall of the Grand Hall. While Frieda had a smile on her face, she knew her heart was elsewhere, belonging to someone else.

Historia has first found out about her sister's secret lover 2 years ago. Historia was snoop and she knew Frieda has been sneaking out around the gardens late at night. So she did what any curious little sister would do. Hiding behind a rose bush, she immediately recognized the uniform from the Swordsman Academy in nearby Trost. Historia was a bit naive then but she did know that members of the Knights Honor Guard, or in this case future member, were not allowed to date anyone in the royal family. While fighting the urge to pee, she watched as this boy laughed quietly with Frieda. Frieda was sharing some tea cakes with him, and some kisses here and there.

"Duchess Reiss, may I have this dance?"

"What?" Historia responded, being brought back from the memory of the garden.

"May I have this dance?" The young boy held his hand out in a bow.

Historia wanted to say no, but she knew she has to put on a performance tonight as well.

As they twirled about the dance floor, Historia imagined she was on her horse, Leopold. The two taking a late afternoon ride through the orchards. She was barely listening to what her dance partner was talking about. Their dance ended, and before he could engage her in further conversation, she excused herself for some fresh air.

Historia found herself on a balcony over looking the gardens below. The moon illuminating the beautiful arrangements. Then she saw her sister, siting on a stone bench, looking around, looking for someone.

Before Historia could call out to her sister, the boy from the Academy came out from one of the bushes. Historia crouched down as to not be seen.

"Eld!", Frieda jumped a bit. "You can't sneak up on me like that"

"Well it's not like I can just stroll in to the castle and see you...you look beautiful by the way"

Frieda gave him a soft kiss. "I hate this whole thing. Most of those suitors in there are only after money and power."

"If only I wasn't born as a mere merchant's son" Eld said with a laugh.

"To be honest status, titles, money, none of it compares to love, to you" she said. "I don't know what to do, I don't want to marry anyone but you"

Eld wiped a tear away from her cheek. "I love you too Frieda. I wish we weren't from different worlds, but as an Honor Guard night, I can at least be close to you"

Frieda took Eld's hand, "We could just runaway together"

"I still have my family who needs me, and what about Historia, you can leave her behind"

"I know, just a thought that gets me through." Frieda said quietly.

"Who knows, things may change soon."

"What do you mean?"

"Rumor has it they are starting a female division of the Honor Guard. A small group have been working under the royal family for a few years. I think they will start letting girls into the Academy" Eld explained.

"Girls in the Swordsman Acadmey as Honorary Guard nights...are you sure?"

"I may or may not have heard Captain Levi discussing it with Captain Farlan" he said sheepishly.

"You eavesdropped?" Frieda said with a small laugh.

"More like I just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

Frieda laughed, leaning in to kiss Eld again.

Historia, still crouched, felt her heart racing.

"Females becoming knights, going to the Academy? Maybe there is a way out after all" she thought hopefully.

To be continued