Chapter 11

They had begun to feel like they were perhaps only part of a handful of people left in the world. It felt like they had survived an apocalypse and that the world was forever changed. Driving into the little town where people were walking all around and going into shops made them feel a little more normal again. It was a cute little downtown, although it was only one strip of tiny stores before it disappeared into the cornfields of mid-America.

There was a bookstore and boutique, a drugstore and even a little restaurant that didn't open until lunch. Cars were parked on either side of the street, and Dani pulled the Challenger into a parking space in front of a clothing boutique. The large turquoise jewelry and leopard print blouses displayed on the front made them all feel a little sick, especially Farren, but they were tired of rotting in their dirty clothes.

A middle-aged woman greeted them from behind a counter as the four walked in. "Good morning!" she said cheerily, her bright smile showing that she didn't even notice how dirty and bloody they looked. "We've got buy one get one free for all our purses today! Let me know if you kids need anything!"

Kids, Charlie repeated in her head. They were at that age where some people saw them as teenagers, and others as fully grown adults. It was a gamble on whatever stranger they met would categorize them as. They filtered through the clothing racks, aimlessly parting a few hangers to see if they found anything they liked. There definitely was not a great men's section besides a small corner in the back.

Farren went to the more sophisticated area, naturally, picking through some items with a crinkle in her nose until she found a pair of acceptable black slacks and a gray sweater to match. Charlie and Dani both picked out the only pair of jeans they could find without crosses embroidered into the ass pockets, and Charlie grabbed a dark green sweater while Dani picked out a black hoodie. Matt was able to find some athletic joggers and a white long-sleeved shirt with some random logo written across the front. Once each checked their items out, they went to the fitting room in the back to change into their clothes. The lady, while smiling politely, was a little curious as to why they were all immediately changing into their new clothes.

Charlie had checked out before Farren and was in the fitting room pulling her old jeans off her legs. It was difficult, having to stand on one leg because putting too much pressure on her injured one was painful. Farren had finished checking out and was waiting impatiently outside the fitting room door, tapping her foot. When she heard a thud from inside the fitting room, along with a gasp from Charlie, she tensed.

"Charlie?" Farren asked, stepping closer to the door and listening. She could hear some kind of movement and scuffling, along with a few grunts. "Charlie?" she knocked on the door, and getting no response, she decided to open the fitting room door.

There she saw Charlie crumpled on the ground with her new jeans, which she had chose to be black so that any excess bleeding would not visibly stain, halfway up her ankles. Her eyes widened when she saw Farren standing there at the open door and quickly pulled her new sweater down to cover her thighs. She was about to tell Farren to get out until she realized that she could not get her own pants on and that she couldn't see a way for her to even get up off the floor.

Farren's eyes flashed to Charlie's bare legs momentarily before strictly looking back to her face. Discomfort was clear on her face before it turned into amusement. "Need help?"

Charlie's face blushed as she slowly nodded. Farren gave a small smile before stepping into the tiny room and closing the door, setting her bag of new clothes down on the floor.

"Let's get you up first," she said, holding her hands out to Charlie. Charlie took them, feeling how warm they were, and let Farren pull her up off the ground. The pressure on Charlie's right leg made her falter a bit, but Farren caught her by the waist and steadied her. The tiny fitting room felt hot now with how close Charlie was to Farren. "Hold onto the wall," Farren said, "I'll pull them up."