Chapter 27: Daddy Issues

Liam

When I was born, my dad died.

With this information, you can see why it's tricky for me to celebrate my own birthday. It's a lot of emotional baggage for one simple kid.

My mom tried her best to not let it get to me. She always made sure I had something to celebrate ever since I was a child. She never let my birthday pass me by, though it hurt her deeply to be remembered of his passing.

Eventually, with time it hurt less and less but it never escaped me the sacrifice she makes every time she celebrates my birth.

My mom is a remarkable woman. A lesser person would blame me somehow. Because if it weren't for me, neither of us (me and her) would've survived.

You know the story already. And survivor's remorse is real.

But that is on April. And no, we haven't time jumped. It's January, Sunday before school returns.

There is also another day. Another date.

One very special to my mom.

She quietly celebrates it every single year since my father is gone. I'm talking about my dad's birthday, of course.

Yes, it's today.

I woke up next to my mate inside the guest room of the Alpha residence. Considering we're mated, his parents don't see any problem in me sleeping here alone with George.

Since we're on the last weekend of the winter break, he invited me over and I was happy to oblige. Plus, any time together with my mate is a win in my book.

George rolls over to my side of the bed and looks at me frowning.

"Good morning, mate. Are you okay?" - He asked me, sounding concerned.

"Morning, mate. I'm fine. Today is my father's birthday and it reminded me of my mom. I need to be there for her." - I replied and he looked at me guiltily.

"I'm sorry for your loss." - He kissed me gently on the cheek.

I smiled weakly at him. I don't mean to bring the mood down, but I can't escape this day. It is what it is. My dad is dead, has been for 18 years. I haven't known him, but my mom never forgot about him.

"Thanks, George. It's fine. I'm just gonna grab some breakfast and go to the pack house to talk to my mom, see what she wants to do today. Do you mind if I stay with her all day?" - I asked him, politely.

"Of course not! Do what you gotta do! Be there for her!" - He told me in an incisive tone. I smiled and kissed his forehead.

Some time later, we get downstairs for breakfast at the kitchen. The Alpha couple is setting up the table and Charlie is already there taking his seat.

We all greet each other and I bow my head to the Alpha.

"Did you sleep alright?" - Luna Tyler asked us.

"Yes, sir. It was great, thanks for having me." - I replied with a modest smile.

"You're always welcome, son." - He replied promptly and I lowered my head for a bit, a saddened expression taking over me.

Alpha, Luna and Charlie all looked at each other, not understanding my reaction.

"Is there something wrong, Liam?" - Alpha Stonehold asked me in a concerned tone.

"No, sir. Everything is fine. It's just that today is my father's birthday. I mean, it would've been." - I replied with a saddened tone.

They all breathed out a heavy sigh.