Chapter 1: Danger Zone

Liam

Do you believe in fate?

Do you think your destiny is already written in the cards or you're one of those who thinks you can make your own luck?

Well, far from me to influence your opinion, but let me tell you a story. It's all about causality.

Once upon a time, on a fateful April night, there's a pregnant woman who lived in a house alone with her mate. He was a warrior for the Blood Moon pack, a mid-sized werewolf pack in the South, with under 250 members.

It used to have more, but the Alpha of the pack had the brilliant idea of sending the bulk of their forces to attack another pack, a supposed rival.

It's not unheard of wolves attacking each other. We're vicious creatures. The problem was this particular attack was against the largest wolf pack in the country.

Yeah, I said of the entire USA.

Needless to say, none of these warriors returned home from this attack. All 50 of them.

But that's not when the pregnant woman's mate met his maker. He didn't go to this endeavor.

See, I've neglected to say that this particular warrior was the Alpha's brother. So, he stayed behind.

Around 2 a.m., the pregnant woman's water broke. She had tried to sleep in that Saturday night, but her unborn child had other plans.

In this particular evening, her mate was working - warriors work around the clock to protect the pack - so she asked her friend and neighbor for help.

She did tell him of the labor immediately, but since his shift was less than an hour away from ending, she figured he'd meet her at the hospital later as child labor can last for hours.

She's so selfless. Maybe she should've demanded his presence right away for his first born child. No one would judge her for it. Or him, for that matter. But warriors were spread thin and every body counts, especially in the graveyard shift.

She arrived at the county hospital with her trusted friend, who drove her there. She was welcomed by the staff, who wheel chaired her to the delivery room.

Procedures were taken. Doctor was alerted. Patient was examed. While she held her friend's hand, screaming for her mate to come soon, he was on his way out of the town border when it happened.

A massive coordinated assault with hundreds - yes, hundreds - of well trained, well equipped werewolves took place. And the first ones killed? Yeah, you guessed it, the warriors on patrol.

But not just them. The entire pack was attacked. Hundreds of innocents died. Men, women and children, no one was spared. And I do mean nobody.

The trail of blood they left behind was fit for a war. They were careful to make it look like an animal attack, though no animal could achieve such massacre. Not alone, anyway.

And all the while hundreds of people were being killed, including the warrior's entire family, the pregnant woman was in deep pain, been consoled by her best friend.

Unbeknownst to them, all of their friends and family were being decimated, including the small child her friend left behind with her own mate.

Yeah, this is the glorious occasion in which I was born. The miracle child. The last surviving Forsythe.

By the time my mom and Gloria got word of what had happened, I was already in the nursery. Mom was inconsolable.

I'm not even gonna comment on Gloria's grief over her family. Unfortunately, it was too much for her to handle and she took her own life some time later.