Chapter Three

Noah wondered if Henry would come and check on him that afternoon. However, his friend did not come as he expected. When he made a promise, he always stayed true to it. He would stay away from Anna.

"Are you going to see Anna?"

His sister was leaning against the doorway, staring at him.

Noah adjusted his hat and smiled at her. "Good morning, sister." He put on his jacket. "And no, I will not see Anna. She sent a note saying she was not feeling well."

Lily crossed her arms over her chest. She raised her eyebrows and rolled her eyes. "Henry must be a fool."

"Lily," Noah warned harshly.

Lily shrugged her shoulders. "I am as closer to Anna as you are, you know. Although your ages are closer, she shares her secrets with me."

Noah moved closer to his sister and stroked her cheek. "Because she loves you."

Lily smiled. "We have to visit her. But I have piano lessons now, and Mollie will visit me later."

Mollie was Henry's youngest sister. Lily hadn't debuted yet, and she and Mollie were supposed to review the proms every week.

He pinched her sister's cheeks. "Have a good lesson, missy."

Lily made a false face. "What do you want me to say if Henry stops by?"

Noah paused for a moment and answered. "He will not."

***

"Aunt," Henry slowly opened the door, which he had knocked on. His aunt was sitting on the sofa, reading a novel.

The woman left the book in her hands open. "Henry," She offered her nephew a bright smile. "You didn't come to breakfast today."

Henry nodded. "I had to take care of a few things about payments."

"Are you tired?" His aunt was asking with the maternal and worried eyes of a mother.

Henry sat down next to his aunt. "It makes me feel fresh."

"Your father used to work hard too,"

Before my mother left.

Henry smiled wryly. His nostrils bulged as he inhaled.

His aunt closed the book and placed it on the middle table. "How about we take a walk together today?" The woman looked out the window. "Besides, the weather is beautiful."

Henry smiled. His aunt was always able to get him going. "Could you ask the girls if they want to come as well?"

Henry moved away from his aunt and toward his sisters. Faith was two years younger than him, and Mollie was eight. She was the littlest of them all. This year made her introduction to society. Henry went to Faith's room when he heard the girls' voices. He received a welcome when he softly knocked on the door. He gave his sisters a smile. "My aunt and I are taking a walk. Would my sisters like to participate as well?"

Negatively, Mollie shook her head. "I shall visit Lily."

Faith looked at her brother in disbelief. "If you desire me to accompany you..." She half-asked, turning to Mollie.

"Oh, no. We will probably stop by the tailor."

Faith turned back to her brother. "Well, I will go with you. It would be good to get some fresh air."

"Right?" The man grimaced in frustration. "The courting makes me very tired."

Mollie chuckled. "You do nothing, how can you be tired?"