Chapter 4

Tuesday evening, while sitting in the common room, there was a knock at the window. James, Remus, Peter and Sirius were the only ones in the common room, so Remus stood up to let the snow-covered owl in.

"That's Regulus' owl!" Sirius exclaimed, jumping up off of the armchair.

"The letters for you," Remus said, handing Sirius the letter delivered by Regulus' owl.

Remus closed the window, keeping the cool winter air out, and giving the owl some time to rest before he had to begin its long flight back to the Black manor.

"Are you going to open it?" James questioned urgently as Sirius stood there staring at the letter.

Instead of responding, Sirius unfolded the parchment and slowly read through the letter, going pale at the words written by the younger boy.

"Sirius?" Remus questioned worriedly.

"Is he okay?" Peter asked, assuming the worst.

Sirius shook his head, rereading the letter.

"Padfoot," James spoke, pulling his attention away from the piece of parchment, "what happened?"

"He needs to get out of that house," Sirius stated, looking up from the letter. "They're going to make him get the dark mark," he explained.

This caused a reaction from the other three Gryffindors.

"When?" Remus asked, calmly.

Sirius turned his head back to the letter, scanning it. "Friday,"

"Christmas eve?" James choked out. That was so soon.

"I'm going to get him," Sirius stated.

"I'm coming!" James shouted.

"And how are we going to accomplish this? We can't very well just break into the manor," Remus stammered.

"And why not?" Sirius queried, making Remus roll his eyes.

"Because, we're going to get caught, besides, how do you expect to leave Hogwarts unnoticed? There's only so many of us who stayed the break, Professor McGonagal will take notice of our absence," Remus reminded the other.

"She'll probably just assume we're planning pranks, and we can play it off as such," Peter proposed.

"Okay, and how are we breaking into the Black manor?" Remus asked once again. This wasn't just a dream, they couldn't just Floo in when no one had eyes on them, or maybe they could?

They began forming their plan, which started with sending Regulus a letter back. Using Gizmo, they attached a letter onto its leg and released the bird back outside to begin its journey back to London.

___

The next morning, Regulus woke up to Gizmo's return with a letter attached to his leg. Regulus hobbled out of bed and opened his window, allowing his elf owl to enter.

Taking the letter, he opened it and began to read.

We're coming to kidnap you, see you Wednesdayッ

Yours truly,

Padfoot, Prongs, Moony, Wormtail

He put the note on his bedside table, and began to get ready for the day, when Kreacher appeared right on the other side of his door, knocking.

Regulus went and opened the door, looking down at the house elf.

"Mistress Black has asked for Kreacher to come to collect Master Regulus' good robes," The elf spoke.

"Right, could you please come back later? I've yet to dig them out of my closet," Regulus hadn't bothered to find his nice clothes, and judging by the letter, he won't need them anyway.

Kreacher mumbled some inaudible nonsense about his time being wasted before he spoke back up. "Mistress also asks that Master Regulus collect his good shoes from the closet down the hall of Master Black's study," Regulus didn't know which pair of shoes she was talking about, but he knew that if he didn't go collect them before noon, she'd send him to get them anyway. She'd probably ask Kreacher later if he'd found them, but she wouldn't just get Kreacher to fetch them.

"I will, thank you Kreacher," Regulus said, very fakely, before Kreacher left.

Regulus had to stop himself from groaning as he walked down the halls. He walked past his father's study, which had its door closed, as usual. The closet Kreacher mentioned was right next to the study.

Regulus opened the closet door to reveal multiple pairs of shoes that he hadn't remembered seeing before as well as dress robes that were collecting dust.

Sighing, Regulus knelt down and moved a pair of unstylish boots that kind of looked familiar, but he couldn't exactly place it. He found several shoes that looked either way too big or much too small until finally, he found a pair of black loafers that looked like just about any other pair of shoes he owned in his room.

Regulus questioned if they were the shoes he was sent to retrieve, but decided to take them back to his room just in case.

As he went to close the door, he caught sight of the boots once again, but in better lighting. He finally remembered where they were from. In his nightmare, that very pair of boots sat right outside his father's study while he and the others had locked themselves inside. He shuddered at the memory before shutting them away in the closet.

Walking back to his room, he began to wonder if his brother and doofuses of friends would actually manage to show up without getting caught.

He thought back to his dream, it was all still very rather confusing, he'd woken up and the so-called 'marauders' and Barty too, had all had the same dream, but he had dreamt that they had the same dream and they lived and ordinary dream which they went on to being another nightmare filled with murder, and now they were all awake and didn't all have the same dream, or at least, that's what he thought.

His thoughts were interrupted by a crash coming from downstairs, it was the floo system going off. Out of curiosity, he walked to the stairs, looking down them to catch sight of his idiot brother, James, Peter and Remus.

The boys had managed to create a loud disruption, no doubt his parents had heard.

Regulus rushed down the stairs before either of his parents could come and stared at them wide-eyed. Yes, he wanted help to get out of the house and away from the Black family, but they were going to get them killed first.

"What the hell do you think you're doing? I could hear you from two halls down!" He scolded very quietly.

"Sorry!" Sirius practically squeaked, standing up from off the ground, where the four boys had ended up doggy piled upon landing out of the floo. "Minnie caught us and we panicked,"