Chapter Fifteen

“I-What was that?” Regulus asked, distracted.

Bellatrix rolled her eyes and repeated herself. “I said, the Dark Lord requires everyone's presence in the Hall. That means even minor Death Eaters.”

Regulus rubbed the spot where his Dark Mark was, and nodded absentmindedly, Apparating with Bellatrix into the Hall, where a long table sat. It was mostly full, but Bella pushed him into a chair at the end next to a man. She took a seat a little closer.

“Do you know what this is about?” the man whispered, and Regulus shook his head.

The Dark Lord entered the room then, and everyone fell silent. They all stood as one to bow as he sat down.

“Sit,”he hissed and the loyal Death Eaters obeyed. The Dark Lord got right to the point right after that. “I require a house elf.”

No one spoke for a moment. A Death Eater that Regulus knew as Avery asked, “Why, my Lord?”

“You question my plans, Avery?” he replied quietly, and Avery shook his head quickly.

“No, no, my Lord, I only meant-”

“I can see that you will not be helping me today. So, who will?”

“I volunteer my family's house elf,” Regulus said, surprising even himself.

The Dark Lord turned his eyes to look at him, and Regulus stared at the table.“Black, isn't it?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Very well, Black. Meet me in an hour with the elf. Do not be late.”

“I won't my Lord. Thank you,” Regulus said, head still bowed. The Dark Lord left the room after that, and every Death Eater got up. Bellatrix came over to Regulus again.

“So, Reg, you volunteered Kreacher, did you? Good job. The Dark Lord will not be disappointed, I'm sure.”

Her words were casual, but Regulus thought that he could hear the silent threat behind them: Don't mess this up, or you'll be dead within the day.

“He won't be,” he replied confidently.

Regulus went right home after that, calling for Kreacher. The house elf came at once, bowing low.

“What does Master Regulus require?”

“I need you to come with me. The Dark Lord needed a house elf, and I said you would do it. It's a big honor, to my family.”

“Of course, Master, if he wishes Kreacher to go, then Kreacher will go.”

“Thank you. Let's go now, I don't wish to be late.”

Kreacher took his hand and they Apparated to the Hall where they had met before. It was empty now, of course, but they were half an hour early.

“Kreacher, whatever the Dark Lord wants you to do, you must do it, is that understood? Obey his every order. And then when you're done, come home.”

“Of course, Master. Kreacher will do as the Dark Lord asks.”

“Thank you,” Regulus started to say, but the Dark Lord Apparated into the Hall then.

“Ah, Black. You're early, I see.”

“Yes, my Lord, I hope that is all right. I didn't want to be late.”

“It is fine. Does the elf know that he is to obey me?” he asked. Regulus nodded.

“Yes, my Lord, I told him to obey your every order.”