Chapter Twelve

Regulus landed just outside the door of Blanche's house, and knocked with one hand while trying to hold Blanche with the other. In the end, he just banged his head against the wall and hoped that Mrs. Sutton had heard.

She had, and she came to the door with her apron on. Once she saw Blanche in Regulus's arms, she gasped and ushered them in quickly. “What's the matter with her? What happened?”

“There was a Death Eater attack in the Muggle village nearby. I think she's been hurt,” he replied and laid her down on the sofa.

“Do you know what's wrong?”

“I-I think that she...” Regulus hesitated, and Mrs. Sutton pressed for him to go on. “I think that someone used Crucio.”

Mrs. Sutton gasped, and hurried to her daughter. Blanche was trying to sit up, but her mother wouldn't let her.

“No, no, lay down. You're hurt. I'll go get ice and a hot towel. Regulus, stay with her.”

She flew off to the kitchen, and Regulus held Blanche's hand. Mrs. Sutton returned a minute later, with a wet towel and a bag of ice.

“Which do you want, dear? I suppose the ice?”

Blanche nodded and took the bag, pressing it to her forehead. “I hurt all over,” she mumbled. “It felt like someone was stabbing me.”

“It'll be all right,” Regulus said and she smiled at him, squeezing his hand.

“Why am I the one who is always hurt, or sad, or in trouble? I've never had to save you before,” Blanche said.

“I'm sure you'll need to someday,” Regulus replied. She laughed.

“Yes, I wouldn't be surprised when that day comes. You're like a bomb of trouble, waiting to go off. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.”

“Good,” Regulus said lightly. “You seem much better already.”

“I am. I don't know why you're making such a big fuss. It doesn't even hurt that much,” she said, but he could tell that she was lying.

“Is there anything I can do?”

“You know that just by being here, you're helping me.”

Blanche was better by the next morning. Regulus had slept on their couch again, but Mrs. Sutton didn't seem to mind. She even came up to him the next day to thank him.

“Regulus, I wanted to thank you for bringing Blanche home when she was in trouble, for saving her,” she said, and Regulus shook his head.

“I wasn't going to leave her on the street, I care about her too much.”

“I'm glad. But it was still a risky thing to do, with Death Eaters everywhere. Blanche told me how you Stupefied one and stole their mask. That was a brave and bold move.”

“Thank you, Ma'am, but I wasn't even thinking about it. I was just looking for Blanche,” Regulus said truthfully.

“Yes, well, thank you all the same,” Mrs. Sutton said and left Regulus sitting alone in the garden to reflect on her words. That was another lie that he could add to his ever-growing list. Would it ever stop?

“Regulus? What was my mother talking to you about?” Blanche asked, startling Regulus. He turned too quickly and fell off the bench. Blanche burst out laughing.

“Nothing, she just... er, thanked me.”

“I should thank you as well. You saved me.”

“Everyone says that, but I really didn't. I had to.”

“Well, I'm still glad that you did,” Blanche said, sitting next to him on the ground. “I wouldn't be here.”

“Don't say that! I wanted to; I love you.”

“I love you too. I feel so bad for the other people though. Do you think they're all right?”

“I dunno,” Regulus said, thinking of the girl and her boyfriend. “I saw a couple die.”

“When will this madness end?”

“It might not,” Regulus said.

“You're always so chipper and optimistic!” Blanche said sarcastically. “Can't you tell me that it's going to be all right for once?”

“I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know if it will be.”

“I wish things would just be over already,” Blanche said and rested her head on his shoulder.

DEATH EATER ATTACK IN MUGGLE TOWN

A small Muggle village was attacked yesterday afternoon when Death Eaters Apparated into the town square and began firing Killing Curses. Among the dead were 37 Muggles and 2 wizards.

Two Death Eaters were caught, and were taken into the Ministry for interrogations. Their names have not been released yet, but according to a source at the Ministry, they said this:

“Fine, we were Death Eaters. But we're not the only ones! The Lestranges, Dolohov, even the Black boy were all-”

At this, Regulus put the paper down. This couldn't be true. Who sold him out?

It was the day after the attack on the Muggle village, and Regulus was back home. He hoped that Blanche and her family wouldn't read this, but there was a chance that they might. What would they think? Blanche would hate him forever.

Running downstairs, Regulus grabbed his coat. “Mother! I'm going to visit Arden!”

“Again? Don't you have better things to do?” she shouted back. “We saw in the paper, Regulus dear, is that true?”

“Yes, Mother!”

“Good. I suppose you can go then. We are so proud of you.”

Regulus didn't answer, he just ran out the door, then realized he had no way of getting there.

Half an hour later, he had convinced his father and now was outside of Arden's house. He waited until his father had Disapparated again, then ran down the dirt road to Blanche's. He knocked on the door quietly.

“Regulus?” Blanche asked, opening the door. “What are you doing here?”

“Did you read the paper?”

“About the attack? Yes. Are you here because someone named you as a Death Eater?”

“Uh, yes...” he said. She didn't seem mad.

“Don't worry! My family and I know that you were only doing it to help me, so please don't fret. I only worry what the rest of the wizarding world will think of you...”

“So long as you believe me, then I don't care.”

“That means so much, but you shouldn't say that! You need to be careful, Reg. What did your family say?”

“I-I just told them that it wasn't true, and they believed me. My father will clear all of this up.”

“Yes, but your cousin was named too, wasn't she? How will that look?” Blanche asked.

“Like I said, my father will clear everything up. Please don't worry about it.”

“No, I'm going to worry until it's resolved! Regulus, you need to start thinking more clearly about the future, and the effect this could have!”

“No, I choose to think positive! Let's talk about something pleasant, like my birthday.”

“All right,” Blanche said, giving up. “What do you want to do?”

“I just want to spend the day with you,” he said.

“What about Arden?”

“No. Just you. We should go somewhere.”

“Where?” Blanche asked.

“I'll be able to Apparate then, so we can go wherever we want.”

Author's Note:

Short filler chapter, really, but whatever. Stuff will start heating up soon......... ;)