ISLANDERS VOCABULARY

UPDATED 3.11.2023 

AGGY. Contestants will use this word to refer to islanders that are angry, agitated, or aggravated. You could say, "She's so aggy today".

BANTER/BANTZ. The act of teasing or kidding, 'Banter,' is the existence of high-level rapport between two people. Banter is the hottest commodity in the villa on a show like Love Island, where fit birds and geezers are a dime a dozen. Some islanders pride themselves on their bants (jokes). This is especially popular when trying to graft on with someone.

While banter can be fun, witty chat, the islanders refer to it as the 'playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.' Islanders either have banter or they don't, and this can be the key difference between whether or not two contestants get flirty with each other and become romantically involved.

BELLEND. A derogatory word.

BELTER. Someone who is really gifted in the looks department.

BEVY/BEV. This new word has been introduced for the 2019 season. Used to describe a hot guy. If he's your boyfriend, he's your bevy, but if he's not your boyfriend, he's a bev.

BIRD. Girls are often called birds.

BISH. BOSH. BASH. Indicating the of a with.

BODY POPPING: The art of dancing like Drake.

BOMBSHELL. A contestant who enters Love Island after the initial group.

BREADCRUMBING. This term is used when an Islander is talking about being lured by someone. Leading someone on, or playing mind games.

BRUV. Brother, for short, not referring to a blood relative but a friend. Typically used between male islanders.

BUDGIE-SMUGGLERS. Reference to a man's tight-fitting swimming bottoms or swimsuit.

BUNDA. Means a good bum

BUZZIN'. Happy or excited about something, extremely thrilled. (i.e., "We are completely cracking on and having a great time, and bruv, I'm honestly buzzin'. I'm proper buzzin'.")

CAPPING. Means lying. If an Islander says "no cap", that means they're not lying.

CASA AMOR. Definition (from Series 3 on): The second villa either the girls or the boys go to about halfway through every series. New people come to both villas, and it's all about whether you stay with your original person.

CHALLENGE. An official setup game the contestants play that almost never has any substantial consequences. Usually a challenge starts with them running to the little challenge area in slow motion.

CHEEKY. It means fun, brash and cute.

CHIRPSE. To flirt or chat someone up.

CHIVED. To be hacked off or peeved.

CHUFFED. Quite pleased, delighted.

CONNECTION. A way of saying you like someone romantically in a deep and meaningful way.

COUPLE. The two-person team contestants are in. A couple shares a bed, competes in challenges as a unit, and can be up for elimination together. Love Island is won by a couple.

CRINGE. It is used to describe the peak awkwardness of a person or situation.

CWTSH. To have a cuddle. Used in a sentence: "Naked cwtsh anyone?"

DAY DOT. Day one.

DEAD. A word used to add emphasis, such as, "That man is dead fit".

DEAD TING. The term islanders use to describe someone who isn't attractive or good looking. Can also be used to describe something as boring or dull.