Chapter 7

Me and Scott sat on the roof in silence, watching the stars twinkle and hearing the faint rustling of the trees not so far away from us. I felt numb, but not because of the cold, because everything Scott and Kerrie had said to me was playing over and over in my head. Things only seemed to get better and then fall just at the right moment. There was never a day where everything could go right, and it sucked. But of course, my cloud of thoughts had to be broken at some point, and I guess that point was now.
"We should really go back downstairs to the boys and Kerrie, we've been up here for an hour and they'll be wondering where we are." Scott spoke slowly and cautiously, almost afraid I'd blow.
"Okay." I simply nodded my head and stood up, brushing my clothes off and heading for the stairs.
"Is that it?" Scott spoke up louder than the last time, "You're just going to leave as if nothing happened? Why can't you see that I am making an effort here, and you just seem to throw it back in my face every damn time!"
I was shocked at Scott's outburst, but kept my blank face and simply stared at him, no reply formed. I sighed heavily and turned around, heading down the first few steps that led me up here in the first place.

As soon as I walked back in the doors of the venue with Scott following behind me with his head held down, everyone's eyes were on us. No, not us. Me. I glanced across the boys, taking in their worried faces, but ignored them nonetheless.
"We're leaving." I spoke blankly to Kerrie, connecting our eyes for merely a sharp second before breaking it again.
"Okay, I'll just get my bag." She spoke softly, and I could almost feel the tension. The way her eyes clouded with tears, guilty tears. If I'm being honest, I didn't care. All I wanted to do was get home and not speak of this again, not speak to HER again. I turned back on my heel and headed straight for the doors, until a voice stopped me.
"Darcy wait!" Oh of course, "I'm sorry! Please can I have your number and I promise I'll text you the minute you leave."
"I don't want your promises Scott. Promises are empty, no one ever keeps them. My dad promised to come back, Kerrie promised to always stand by my side, so why the fuck would I think your promises are anymore trustworthy than theirs?" I finish my rant and look back at him, seeing his stunned face for the last time as I once again swivel around and head for the car.