Chapter 12

Wednesday's POV

As soon as Enid spoke about stealing the mask from the museum, I knew it was impossible. Tyler's enthusiasm wasn't a surprise considering how impossible the mission was, but it was me who had to break Enid's dream. Last thing I wanted to do.

- That's imposiible, Enid - I said while she turned to me. Her beautiful gray eyes glued on me. Focus, Wednesday. - The mask is protected by a case and a high-tech alarm system. If we can't get it, nobody can. - I exlplained.

The room went silence and I met Tyler's look. A disappointed look.

I wasn't gonna rob a museum just 'cause he wanted to feel the adrenalin rushing in his veins.

- This, on the other hand - I said, dropping the book in my hand on the desk - could be full of surprises. Especially the last page.

The last page was full of doodles without any sense. But that wasn't what catched my attention.

- What's surprising about a bunch of scrawls? - Tyler asked.

I turned off the lights and the page glowed in the dark.

- How did you know that was there? - Xavier asked me, focused on the signs on the page.

- I got interested into how spies exchanged messages, after I found out my grand-grandfather was one against Nazis - I explained. - The most popular one was glowing-in-the-dark ink. I just thought that, if the students were part of the secret society, it would make sense for them to write their secrets like spies. And if you pass a hand over the page you can feel something like wax - I told them.

- Now, who's brain is working slow? - I asked, turning to Tyler and returning the comment he did earlier. Tyler looked at me and laughes, shooking his head in denial.

- I'm still waiting for your thank you - he said, pointing to Enid with his head.

He knew. I realized. He knew about the kiss. He knew about my feelings for her. Wait, was that the reason he kissed me?

- Hey, there's something interesting - Xavier said, catching our attention. We leaned to the book. - The doodle and the secret writing are somehow complementary. The writing describes the room where they did their reunion and their rituals while the draw is a map that lead to the room. It's in the basement of the academia. - He exclaimed.

- What are we waiting for, then? - Tyler asked, like that was the moment he waited for his entire life.

I was curious too, like everyone else. At this point we were too much involved to let it be. And I needed something to focus, otherwise my brain would lead me to the kiss, Enid and the feeling of her lips on mines... She was so warm...

God, control yourself. I told myself.

- Wait - I said while everyone was moving outside. They stopped by the door.

- Thing - I called. My amputated friend got out of its drawer-bedroom. - You'll come with us - I told it, hiding it in the pocket of my sweter.

- And that is? - Tamara asked.

- That's Thing. Thing, these are Tyler, Xavier, Ajax and Tamara - I introduced them. - Thing has been my - our - I said, throwing a look at Enid - roomate since I came here.

Thing got out of my pockets and jumped on the desk where he signed "Nice to meet you. I've heard of you" and then jumped back in my pockets.

- And why are you introducing it to us now? - Tyler asked. I could see his brain trying to understand what was behind my behaviour.