Debate and Democracy

The next couple of days were increasingly awkward for the children. There were none of the warm, smiling faces they had grown accustomed in Yammoneffer. Reactions to the young newcomers ranged from general disinterest to vaguely concerned curiosity.

You heard the raucous debate going on in the senate almost everywhere you went in Mattu Khan. And where you didn't hear it, you certainly heard about it. Men and women with severe expressions wrapped themselves around discussions and arguments so tightly that in many cases the children might as well have not been there at all. It got to the point that the only time direct eye contact was made was in the great food court, where many of the junior members of the senate would go to eat. They served a stew there that Brad called divine, and they all agreed with him. It had a unique emerald tint to it, flavored with something that tasted very much like cilantro with a slightly less citrusy note.

They enjoyed hanging out in the food court, becoming friendly with some of the younger members of the staff. They learned that this was the center of their government, a sort of combination of Washington, DC and the United Nations. They also learned that these people had two presidents. One called the Second President named Bartolomeo Prignano and the First President named Nityo Chattopadhyay who was, of course, Jag's father. Hanging out in the food court wasn't exactly fun, but it was at least something for them to do. They were allowed to wander around the place to some extent, but they couldn't go very far and they did not wander alone. A small contingent of men dressed all in black followed the little group wherever and whenever they went.

On their second day there, the arguing in the senate had reached a fever pitch and every person they ran into was even more ill tempered than the last.

Having been chastised at least three different times for being too loud in the food court, the children decided it might be best to retire to their room for a while. Jesse, who had been sitting at the window talking to Kate and Al, was the first to see them.

"That looks like Mr. Chertkow!" He had just been leaning against the window, fogging it with his breath and absent-mindedly drawing in the dense moisture, when he saw a single rider come flying into the courtyard below. A second rider came in quickly behind him.

"Is that Mrs. Hoppes?"

The little group was positively tripping over themselves as they went barreling down stairs and through corridors. Running as fast as they could past angry politicians, they intercepted the two riders just as they were entering the great receiving hall.

"Mrs. Hoppes!" They all called to her in unison.

"Children!" She smiled and greeted them with hugs for each as she peeled off her snowy coat and boots. "You're all looking well! Are you having fun?" In response, the children deluged her with questions of home and family. She was making a vain attempt at answering the questions when Mr. Chertkow, who had been standing in the corner of the great room talking to Khalil, came and put his hand on her back.

"We have to go, April. We're already late for the hearing." He locked eyes with Jesse, flashing him an icy look, then strode past the boy, ignoring the other children altogether.

April watched him go, then turned to the children. "In due time, my dears. In due time. Let us sort some things out first and I think we can have you back to your families in no time."

She then turned and quickly left the great room.

~

The hearing was loud and nearly over by the time the two arrived. Already, senators and their aides were filing out of the small chamber. They exchanged curt, courteous greetings as Randy Chertkow and April Hoppes filed past the politicians into the room. President Chattopadhyay and Jag were sitting at the end of a long table. They were locked in conversation with Senator Rhadamanthine and Senator Graff and a much taller woman. The conversation was obviously tense.