Dancing to Half-Heard Rumours

Word spread of the Dragon's presence in the camp and a steady flow of people came and went from the small room, all of them in wide-eyed amazement at the sight of Al.

The little dragon grew accustomed to the constant intrusion and at first he delighted in the attention, posing and preening for each new visitor. Eventually, however, weariness overcame the brave little dragon. Visits were ceased and the little group was allowed to finally sleep.

They slept for hours and woke starving. There was much activity inside the tent. Jag's children were running around like crazy people, laughing and screaming and fighting with one another. They were crisply dressed in garishly colored shirts and pants, freshly washed and brushed and perfumed.

"Give it back!"

"Momma! Hamoodie won't give us our saris!" The girls called out in unison. Hamoodie, Jag and Inarra's youngest boy, was running around the big family room waving Maggie and Molly's brightly colored swathes of cloth above his head.

"Hamoodie!" The woman swung a razor-sharp glare at her son. "If you don't stop harassing your sisters, I swear I will feed you to the sharks!"

"But momma! They started it!"

"Then you had best be careful, my son." Jag said. He was freshly shaven and dressed all in white with a brilliant orange overcoat. "For I promise you, they are your mother's daughters, and they will finish it."

Hamoodie said "But dad..." and that is all he had a chance to say. His two little sisters lept from the back of the couch and tackled his head. The boy screamed, toppled and yielded the prize to his victorious siblings.

"Hey, Mrs. Jag." Brad and Jesse walked into the room just in time to see Maggie and Molly run out. "Can we get something to eat? I'm starving."

Jesse reached down to help Hamoodie stand. Before leaving, Maggie had tied the boy's feet together with a sheet. He felt eyes on him. He turned and Inarra was watching him. He pulled Hamoodie to his feet and her gaze lingered. "We will eat soon." She said, returning her attention to the rest of the children. "Now wash and dress. We've just enough time to get you ready for the celebration."

"Celebration?"

The woman smiled at Brad. "You'll see."

~

Freshly washed and dressed, the children stepped out into the night. The air was cool and heavy with the smells of fires and food. Laughter and the sounds of reverie were everywhere. They stayed close to Jag and Ina

rra as they cut through throngs of party goers.

"This is the Roka!" Jag called out over the raucous music. "It's when both families get together for the first time to celebrate the union!" Jag laughed as a couple danced into him, pushing the laughing man sideways as they giggled by him. "And it's the best time you'll ever have!"

"What union?" Kate called out.

"My little brother!" He laughed and took the girl by the shoulders. "He's getting married! This is a wedding, my friends!"

It was like they had stepped into a living painting. They were in the great open plaza at the center of camp. It was a moving ocean of color. The men, women, and children were absolutely electric. Laughing and singing, they were dressed in every color of the rainbow and they shone and glittered like earthbound stars in the warm firelight.

Here, the camp divided into men and women. Each group staked out a spot on opposite sides of the plaza, where great bonfires burned at the edges.

"Elyssa, my dear!" They turned to see Jag hugging a striking teenage girl. She was tall with straight shoulders and long, jet black hair that hung in a fat braid down the middle of her back. "Jesse, this is my niece, Elyssa." Introductions were done all around and Elyssa greeted them each with a smile and a customary kiss to each cheek, making each of the boys terribly uncomfortable.