Prologue

Abigail Cowen as Ember Elrod

A five year old Ember wakes up to the smell of smoke and the most intense heat she has ever felt, opening her eyes she jumps out of bed and runs to her parents room next door "Mama! Papa!" she screams, opening the door to find flames blocking her way to them. "Ember, you need to get out the house and get to Camelot! Go! Now!" her father shouts. "Remember we love you Ember! We will always be with you!" her mother adds. Ember runs down the hall and down the stairs, running out the house and into the forest. Turning back Ember sees her house go up in flames, sobbing she turns away and carries on running with thorns, rocks and branches cutting her feet, hands and arms.

Soon she runs into a Camelot patrol, recognising Sir Stanley from her visits to the castle "Sir Stanley!" she shouts. "Lady Ember! What happened? Why are you out here all alone?" he asks, jumping off his horse. "There w-was a f-fire. M-mama and P-papa told me to r-run." Ember pants, tears falling. Sir Stanley picks her up and places her on his horse before climbing up behind her "Carry on with patrol, I shall take Lady Ember back to the castle." he tells the men, riding back in the direction of the castle. Ember snuffles slightly as she holds on tight to Sir Stanley's arms"Were almost there my lady." he assures her as her castle comes into view.

Sir Stanley jumps off his horse and gently lifts Ember down "Alert the King that Lady Ember is here!" he orders a guard. The guard nod and runs off into the castle, Sir Stanley gently carrying Ember inside and to the Council Chamber where the King is waiting "Lady Ember, what happened?" Uther asks gently as Sir Stanley places Ember on her feet. "Th-there was a f-fire. M-Mama and P-Papa told me to r-run. T-told me to come h-here, My Lord." Ember responds, tears falling. Uther gently picks the five year old up, looking at Sir Stanley "Take a patrol to Yenrig, bring back any possessions that remain and search for what caused the fire." he orders. "Yes My Lord." Sir Stanley bows, leaving the council chamber. Uther carries Ember from the council chamber and starts heading towards Gaius' Quarters "Gaius, Lady Ember is in need of medical treatment." he tells the Physician. "Place her on the bed." Gaius tells Uther, who does so. Gaius checks her cuts and bruises, putting some paste on them and wrapping them "She needs food, water and rest, Sire." he tells the King. Uther nods "I'll take her to the chambers next to Arthur's." he responds, picking the five year old up once again.

Uther gently puts Ember down on the big bed in the chambers "These we now your chambers Ember, you can live here with Arthur, Morgana and I." he tells her. Ember nods "Thank you Sire." she responds. "I'll send a maid with some food and water, if you like I can see if Arthur has finished with his lessons for the day." Uther tells her. "Yes please, My Lord." Ember nods. Uther nods and leaves her chambers, heading next door to Arthur's chambers "Arthur, have you finished with your studies for the day?" he asks. "Yes Father." five year old Arthur nods. "Good, now I need you listen closely. Ember is here but she's been through a lot, her home was set a blaze last night and she was the only one to escape. Lord Frederick and Lady Sabrina perished in the blaze. Ember is in the chambers next door right now, do you think you can go and keep her company? Make sure that she isn't alone?" Uther asks. "Of course Father, I'll go and keep her company. May I take a couple books with me? Ember likes to read." Arthur responds. Uther nods "That sounds like a good idea Arthur just make sure she stays in bed, Gaius said that she needs rest." he tells his son.

Arthur smiles and grabs a couple of his books and carries them next door, knocking before walking in "Arthur!" Ember smiles. "Ember!" Arthur responds, going over and climbing onto the bed "I brought you a couple of books to read. Father said that Gaius told him you need rest and I know you like reading. I can get you some more tomorrow from Jeffrey." he tells her. Ember smiles slightly, taking the books "Thank you Arthur." she tells him. Arthur nods "If there are any books you want let me know and I'll get them for you." he tells her. Ember nods and looks down, tears falling making Arthur immediately hug her "They're gone." she mumbles. "I know but you have me and you'll always have me. I promise you'll always have me." Arthur promises.