Alexa, Chapter Nine

Alexa watched her sleep. She'd taken her back, and without saying a word, had escorted Kat to the bathroom and started a warm bath for her. Kat had been wordless the entire time, avoiding her gaze, not answering her questions. But she'd let Alexa do whatever she wanted to her. There was an air of surrender about Kat. It tasted of despair, and left a bitter aftertaste on Alexa's tongue. She didn't like this at all.

After the bath, Cobb had made her a large meal, and Alexa had ordered her to eat it. Kat did so, still without a word. And then, silently, Alexa had taken her upstairs and laid Kat in her bed. Kat had fallen asleep pretty quickly, too. Alexa could see the weariness in her face, the dark lines under her eyes, the fear in her stance.

Now, though, as Kat slept, Alexa let herself admire her. They'd found her. Thank god. Wave after wave of relief washed over her as she watched Kat's chest rise slowly, and then fall with a soft little snore. They'd found her. Alexa had found her. She'd need to thank Tim later. Probably with some expensive jewels, or a high tip, for helping her bring Kat home.

Alexa turned and quietly stepped out of the room, taking a deep breath and sighing, content. Cobb stood at the top of the stairs, leaning on the railing and looking down. She walked up and joined him, leaning on the rails as well.

"We found her," she said, a giddy smile crossing her face. "We fucking found her."

Cobb smiled. "It surely wasn't easy, Madam. But yes, yes we did."

"God, Cobb, I was so scared," she said, shaking her head and letting it sag. "I was so scared. I thought it would be like Sarah all over again. I thought... well, you know." She laughed. "I almost cried, too. I still might."

"You have every right to, Madam," Cobb said, nodding sagely. "Shall I put it on your schedule?"

She laughed. "Tonight would be a fine time. For now, I just... can't believe it. We found her."

"Yes," Cobb said, "Yes we did."

A comfortable silence fell over the two of them. Warm evening light shone through the foyer windows, giving the room a soft orange glow. Alexa smiled again. The lambent light felt soft on her eyes, gentle even, as if it was welcoming them all home. She liked that thought. Home. They were all at home, now. Together again.

Sarah would've been proud. Happy. Alexa wondered if she could see them now, wherever she was. Looking down on them, smiling. Alexa had succeeded this time. The same mistake, with a different outcome. She'd acted faster, smarter, with more determination and passion. And love. She'd acted with love, not spite. And that'd made all the difference. It was funny, she thought, how one simple feeling could affect the course of a lifetime. This time, she'd chosen the right feeling. The feeling she'd wanted to feel. Beneath all of the fear, the shame, and the blame, she felt love.

It was an incredible feeling. She wondered if Kat felt it too.

She'd have to work on that. Of course, Kat would have the days ahead free of any chores. Alexa ran through a plethora of ways to spoil her. There would be much chocolate and cuddles, she decided. But first, something more important had to happen. Something that made her blood run cold. Something she'd not done for almost a year now.

"I'm taking her to see Sarah tomorrow, if she's well enough," Alexa said.

Cobb looked at her, eyebrow raised. "Are you? That's bold of you."

"I want her to see my mistake. I want her to understand," Alexa continued, as if Cobb had never spoken. "I want her to know."

Cobb nodded and smiled. "I shall take care of the house while you two are gone, Madam. I am sure that you will not regret going."

In truth, Cobb had been trying to get her to go for some time now, but the time never felt right. She couldn't ever find the strength to face Sarah, or the willpower. But now, something felt right. Something deep inside of her. Now was the right time, she thought.

Things were right, right now. And with that, she smiled once more.