Chapter 8

Emmeline's POV:

“…Uhm, are you okay?”

I wondered what to do.

In front of me, Katrina, who had stumbled dramatically, was lying face down.

I considered myself a person who’d often fall. But recently, Katrina would always fall first—especially when she met me.

What’s wrong with her? Did something happen to her legs?

Either way, the cause wasn’t the issue. I was more concerned that she had injured herself by falling.

“Are you injured? Please take my hand.”

I was aware that she despised me. Still, that didn’t mean I could just ignore her, who had just fallen.

Then, Katrina, who got up suddenly, slapped my hand away. She stood up on her own.

What a relief, she isn’t injured…

“Hey! What the hell was that!? You had one job!”

“…Eh?”

Job? What does she mean by that?

Since Katrina’s queen education couldn’t be entrusted to just anyone, I wondered if I had been given the role of her tutor.

Then, it’s a serious problem!

I want to express my deepest gratitude to His Highness! After that, I’d like to confirm what my job entailed!

“Forgive me. I’d like to apologize for the inconvenience. However, since I’d like to ask His Highness for more details, I hope you’ll be patient with me.”

“What!? You absolutely must not ask Uriel anything! Don’t do anything unnecessary!”

“But…”

“Don’t just ditch your role as the villainess!? Because of you, the prince’s aides are also not doing their part! Even if I were to trigger any of their individual route events, there’s no increase to their favorability whatsoever! I used capture on Uriel, so why isn’t it working!? Instead, why is his yandere side waking up!? What’s the meaning of this!? Where’s the reset option!?”

…What do I do?

I couldn’t understand a word Katrina was saying.

For the time being, all I knew was that I had failed my role. Because I couldn’t fulfill my job, Katrina was enraged toward me.

I’m truly sorry…

…Regardless, unless someone were to explain it to me, I wouldn’t be able to understand what my role was.

“Lady Katrina, can you tell me what kind of role that is?”

“Huh?”

“This is ignorant of me, but I couldn’t understand anything Lady Katrina said earlier. I’m ashamed that I cannot figure out the reason for Lady Katrina’s frustration. Therefore, if you can explain it to me, I’ll do my best to fulfill the said role to your expectations.”

“Huh!? You… You’ll do your best to play the role of a villainess? Wait, could it be…? Are you really the Crown Prince’s fiancée—Emmeline Ella Arkwright?”

“…? Yes, I am certain?” I gasped at the sudden realization. “Wait, maybe there’s another Emmeline Ella Arkwright out there…!?”

“No, that’s not necessarily what I’m talking about. What’s going on? Is this a bug? If there’s no villainess, then what’ll happen to me, the heroine? What the hell? Do some testing before selling a game!”

Ah… She’s saying some incomprehensible things, again.

I could only infer that there was no other person with the same name as me. As for the testing, I wondered if it was related to the church where she belonged.

…Did something troublesome happen to the church?

“Without the reset option, I can only attain the Universal End no matter how hard I try…? The prince is my bias, but if the favorability of both Thaddeus and Ezekiel isn’t high enough, the Condemnation Event won’t be triggered? Also, to think that the prince has a Yandere Route with Emmeline, and not me. I don’t understand anything anymore. This is so frustrating. I don’t recall ever doing anything that’d trigger the prince’s Yandere Route or Bad End?”

“Lady Katrina? What happened?”

I was concerned when I saw that she was muttering endlessly.

She didn’t hit her head when she fell, right?

Then, Katrina suddenly stared at me.

“…Yep, this must be a bug. Besides, the prince is in yandere mode, and I don’t think I can reset it. Thus, I’d like to give you some advice.”

“? What should I do?”

“When Uriel invited you to the graduation party, be sure to accept it! Then, when he begged, do so as well! Otherwise, you’ll be forced into lifelong confinement!”

“…Uhhh?”

“I’m so not looking forward to being locked up. As such, I’ll escape to the Universal End. Remember, I already advised you!”

“Eh? Lady… Lady Katrina!?”

There she goes. But what did she mean? What does Yandere even mean? Also, lifelong confinement? His Highness would do that to me? But why?

…As I thought, Katrina’s words were too difficult to understand.

Well, if His Highness were to invite me to the graduation party… Of course, I’d accept. I didn’t know what kind of advice it was, but since it was from Katrina, I’d be sure to remember it.

But why would His Highness beg me? What could His Highness wish for—oh!

Could it be!?

Did he finally decide to convey his feelings to Lady Katrina!?

Then, he must’ve wished to annul the engagement!

Of… Of course! Of course, I’ll agree to that!

It’d surely be lonely since we had been together for a long time. But it couldn’t be helped; there was never a day where I skimped on my endeavor to become a suitable lady for him.

I wished that I could support him both in public and in private. But more importantly, I wanted His Highness to be happy. Therefore, I mustn’t be selfish.

Yes, my feelings are trivial.

With determination in mind, I stared at the destination where Katrina had left.

It felt strange. I felt as if I had finally seen the true Katrina. While Katrina might not like me, I liked her.

She was faithful to her own feelings and was straightforward with her temper. She had something I didn’t. To me, it was as if Katrina was sparkling. Indeed, I’d be forgiven for being a little envious of her.

Alright, then. I have to get ready.

I will do my best to support His Highness’ glorious future!

“…Not good, the prince’s Yandere Route is extremely dangerous. Well, since the target isn’t me, there’s no problem. Emmeline, at the moment, it’s highly likely that you’ll be imprisoned. This version of Emmeline, I just can’t hate her. I just hope that she’ll remember my advice.”

‘—I haven’t heard that it can’t be reset!’

Katrina shouted at the top of her lungs without receiving any reply.