chapter 3: The Heart of a Child

Located within Opal's workspace at Metro Labs, was the scientists' most prized robotics experiment, a humanoid AI developed with the utmost care, affectionately named Pallas-001

Located within Opal's workspace at Metro Labs, was the scientists' most prized robotics experiment, a humanoid AI developed with the utmost care, affectionately named Pallas-001.  This project of hers was a highly-advanced android constructed with the latest technologies of G.E.A.R. and the professors' own genius.   It was a powerful machine with a major design flaw: it was far too advanced. No available computer software, including those of Opal's own design, could match the android's sophistication. It was a lifeless body without a mind to operate it. An empty shell in the corner collecting dust.

It took the young scientist many years to find a working solution to her problem, and on a cold dark winters' night, she finally made a breakthrough.

"I've done it Pallas-001," Opal exclaimed with a striking confidence, staring at her still sleeping android. "I've breached Dresden's Nexus Cloud! It's only a matter of time before you'll be able to open your eyes."  The young scientist's expression softened as she gently wiped the sleeping doll's bangs to the side behind her long elven ears.

The Nexus Cloud was an interdimensional computer networking system powered by the chaotic magic of the prime gate, that connected the golden god Dresden, to everyone, everywhere, all at once. It allowed him to watch over his artist on planet Earth, his beloved marionette within the realms of the gate, and anyone else he saw fit. Among its many applications, the Nexus Cloud had an infinite capacity to store information, including the digitized mind of the original Pallas...the Felidae found at the Tree of Origins.

The professor stared at her android with great pride and then turned her attention to what appeared to be a small puffy blue cat in a round handmade bed on top of a shelf overlooking the room.  "I think it's fitting that I succeeded tonight of all nights Pallas...," Opal said to her dreaming feline friend.  The small Felidae on the shelf seemed frozen in time, it was a vision of the small blue cat Opal loved as a child, forever memorialized in permanent rest.  "If I am not mistaken, tonight is the anniversary of the day we met."  Opal sighed, with a slight heartbreak in her voice.

Standing next to her workstation was the large bookcase overflowing with manga,  graphic novels, and scientific texts. Despite her aptitude for technology and gadgets, she loved the tactile nature of books, and manga had been her greatest escape from the stresses of her daily life. Not exactly what one would expect from a renowned prodigy of science.

At the very top, this bookcase forever slept the sapphire blue feline named Pallas.  Frozen into this state of perfection by Opal herself. There are some who would call this taxidermy, but what Opal did to memorialize Pallas was far more advanced.

Opal's expression altered in a saddening scowl, "I was greatly distressed the day you passed, Pallas," Opal thought out loud.  "All you ever wanted to do was eat and sleep, you never completed the tasks I wanted you to...but I digress. You are going to help me unlock the secrets of the gate. Your digitized mind will be able to connect to my puppet through the NC."  As Opal continued her preparations to activate her android, her mind began to wander as she began to recall the memory of the day she met the feline Pallas.