“That’s not true, my mother loved me and my father will come for me when you find him” I cried tears streaming down my face. Instead of getting a response from her, she grabbed my wrists and dragged me into the kitchen. She grabbed a knife and held it in front of me.

“You stupid like girl” she began, with each word she nicked at my skin with the tip of knife leaving bloody spots in its wake. “We found your father and guess. He didn’t want you, he had own perfect family; a wife who little boys Jake and Taylor; he didn’t want the child of a whore” she laughed. Each word she reinforced with the knife leaving the cuts on my skin making they would last for a lifetime. “Now get out of my sight, I don’t want to see you for the rest of the day” she sneered pushing me away, my side connected with the worktop making more bruises to add to my collection.

                I tried my best getting away from her as fast as possible, but my ribs hurt so much, it was just so hard to breath; I felt like I was running a marathon when I only took a few steps. I finally made it up to my room and sat on the bed with a sigh of relief. I grabbed a piece of cloth and some water from the bottle beside my bed and dabbed at the cuts I hope they would stop bleeding; in the process of doing so, I decided I was going. I was lucky I had the fire escape connection with my window so it would very easy for me to escape without anyone knowing. Without a second thought, I packed what I could into my backpack and opened the window without even looking back. With some difficulty, I got down the steps and I was halfway across the courtyard when I heard the screams of Miss Karlee calling me, but that didn’t even stop me. There was a park not far from here, it’s where I would go if I skipped school or wanted to kill time after school so I didn’t have to go back to orphanage.

I was average height for my age so you would have thought I would have seen the six foot plus person I had ran into, but no; my face still collided with his chest.

Steve's POV

The days at the office seemed to get longer and longer, when I first took this on it was novelty, don’t get me wrong I love the job and I love helping people; but everything seems to be dragging on and on at the moment. On those rare occasions where I didn’t have the Governor breathing down my neck me and my partner Danny would take a well-deserved break. We were sat on the beach outside Kamekona’s drinking our way a six-pack. We were both enjoying our time until Danny’s lawyer decided to call. Danny was in a custody battle with his ex-wife Rachel who was trying to take Grace out of the country to live somewhere else; I  knew that Danny would do everything he could to keep Grace here, in Hawaii.

“Well that was lawyer,” he grumbled returning to the seat next to me.

“No shit” I laughed, but then looking at him seriously “What’s the verdict?”

The grin that spread across his face was huge “Rachel is not allowed to leave the island with Grace without written consent”

 “That’s fantastic Danny, I’m happy for you man” I laughed slapping his back affectionately. I handed him another beer clanging it with mine before he took a swig.  We hadn’t even been able to drink half the bottle before my phone rang, both of us sighed but knew that it had to be important for us to be called in. “McGarrett” I listened to Governor as she explained the case. “Okay we’ll get on it”

“What’s happened?” Danny asked as soon as I put the phone down.

“Run away, local orphanage” I said, this wasn’t the first we had been called out there. “It’s just down the road; we’ll scan the area before heading over. Hopefully the kid decided to come to beach or that park over there to think things through” I said pointing at the green area a couple of minutes away. Danny nodded in agreement and reluctantly followed me down the road. I standing looking round for the girl the Governor had described to Blonde hair, blue eyes and four foot nine. I looked down to the kid who had just walked into me and it had to be my lucky day. It didn’t throw me off but it did her, she dropped to ground with a curse. She looked up at me ready to kick off but then after seeing my gun and badge her eyes welled up. I saw the bag in her hands that confirmed she had to be the run away. I extended my hand to help her up but she ignored it and continued to stay on the floor, I crouched down to her level instead.

“Hey sweetie, are you Kailee?” I asked. Her head nodded as she tried to scoot away from me. She didn’t get very far since Danny had moved to stand behind her, he bent down to pick her up, his hands going under her arms ready to lift her; but when he did she screamed out in pain. Danny looked at me but continued lift the girl to her feet, when his hands dropped; she instantly grabbed her sides holding them. “Kailee are you hurt?” I asked reaching for her, she automatically moved away. “I’m not going to hurt you, I just want to help you,” I cooed, I moved close to her again reaching for her. She didn’t move away this time, she allowed me to grab her shirt lift the side of it up, I didn’t have to lift it far to see the bruises; the cuff of the shirt had lifted up in the process, and I saw the cuts. Danny saw and muttered ‘oh shit’ instantly knowing this were marks from an abuser. 

"Kailee sweetie, who did this to you?" I asked rage clouding my mind. I let her top drop and touched her cheek gently letting her know that I wasn’t there to harm her; no kid deserved to go through what she has.

Her eyes flooded with more tears and her lips trembled “Miss…Miss Karlee” she mumbled “Don’t tell her I told you though, she’ll hit me again” her body was shaking with fright at the thought of being hit again. I pulled her into my arms and cradled her fragile body.

“Don’t worry, she’ll never touch you again” I assured gritting my teeth. I was going to do everything I could to protect this girl.

“How, I’ll have to go back there and she will know, she always knows” she cried even more. After a long think, I finally came to the decision, a rash one I know, but the right one.

“I’ll adopt you,” I said simply, she pulled back sharply hissing when she did move too quickly.

“Really?” she was shocked but I could see that she was happy there was a smile spreading across her lips.

“Yes” she hugged me this time, her head buried into my neck holding me tight.

It took a little while for the adoption papers to go through, but in that time I had put the women who was abusing my soon to daughter in prison for a very long time and in my opinion it still wasn’t long enough. After a couple of months it had become official I had adopted Kailee, everyone had thought I was crazy and rushing into things. But I knew that I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

What did you think???