Chapter Two

Chapter Two,

~~~~ A month later~~~~~

Kailee’s POV

A month had gone by since Steve had adopted me and things were starting to look up for once. The bruises and cuts had all healed apart from a stubborn few and best of all Steve hadn’t raised a hand to me. I felt safe around him that I could finally relax. Magazines had become my new thing, Miss Karlee hadn’t let me have them and I had to practically beg Steve to let me have them. He thought they were too old for me and that I was eleven not five, I don’t think I had seen him laugh so hard then than any other time I had been here. I didn’t spend all my time in my room, I spent it downstairs with Steve. We didn’t always talk, but the company was there and I love it. I loved being able to be in the same room as someone and not get shouted at or hit. Steve would sit at his desk lot, working on stuff that he said was for work. He would always spend time looking through a red tool box, and when I asked what it was; he just said ‘something that my dad left me’ and that was the end. Today he was there doing taxes, he tried showing me a few times what to do, but I never paid attention. I had just got to the good bit in the magazine that I was reading, it was about a new film called the ‘Backup Plan’ with Alex O’Loughlin and Jennifer Lopez; I was going to see if Steve would take me. The doorbell and rang I sat there trying to ignore it while I read.

“Kai get that for me” Steve shouted through from the next room.

“But –“ I started, but I didn’t even get to finish

“I don’t care, get the damn door,” he repeated, I could hear the smile in his words as I stomped to the door cursing “and enough of that” he said from behind me. I leapt out of my skin from him being so close. I hadn’t even heard him come though, I blamed them Navy Seal skills or as I like to call them Ninja skills. I looked up at him though my eye lashes smiling sheepishly

“Sorry” I mumbled, but when I turned back round, I made a face. I pulled the door open just as they were about to knock again. “Uncle Danny” I cheered running forward and giving him a hug. The ‘reasonable’ heighted man laughed and hugged me back.

“Hey squiggle, how you doing?” he asked ruffling my hair. I battered his hands away and started to put it back to too normal, this morning I had spent ages trying to get my hair to go all wavy like Taylor Swifts.

“Fine” I huffed walking back into the living and curling back up on the sofa to read my magazine. Steve and Danny walked into the office area to talk finally leaving me alone.

Steve’s POV

“What’s up Danny?” I asked sitting back down at my dad’s desk leaning back in the office chair. Danny leant against the dining room table crossing his arms with a sigh.

“Noting, Grace had gone out with some friends so I thought I would come and bug you” he sighed “Or even steal Kailee” he continued clucking his tongue afterwards like he was had just asked for a cup of coffee and not to steal my daughter.

“So you can’t get your daughter to spend the day with you so you want to steal mine,” I laughed nearly toppling over in the chair. I thought about letting Kailee spend the day with Danny but then I had a better idea, things could go disastrously wrong if those two got at it. it was only the other day that I had to break them up because he decided to insult Pineapples of all things in front of her; I have never seen a girl consume so much Pineapple in my life, if I gave her the chance she would a whole one in one day alone. “Let’s all go out, call Kono and Chin have them bring Adam and Malia; we can all go out for a late lunch”