CHAPTER 9: FIND A MENTOR

My favorite topic. I will talk about this solely based on my experience in both the writing and architecture worlds.

It was back in 2015 that I researched that in order to be successful, one should find a mentor. Why? Because they have the expertise and knowledge to inform you, as well as the experience to guide you from their past mistakes, setbacks, and/or challenges they've overcome. According to several HR blogs and topics, the mentor doesn't have to be of a certain age. However, the condition is that the chosen mentor should have more experience.

So I went on a mentor spree at university and asked several professors to be my mentors. Some were reluctant, but one was very excited and quite encouraging, too. She taught me what supports in your academic field feels like, and what it means to be mentored. She taught me how to take life easier than I originally did, and to take the wonderful moments to cherish. I lack patience, which she taught me.

However, I wasn't satisfied. Though she was highly supportive and encouraging; however, she didn't challenge me or push me out of my comfort zone. So I went on yet another mentorship spree until I found the one I was looking for.

My current professor pushes me to tears, but it's worth it. I get out of my comfort zone and stay out for a while. Not so comfy, that I can promise you, but when I realize the experience, I acquired, I become very grateful. The realization when you know that someone is capable of pushing you out of your comfort zone to give you the chance to be free and experiment with your limits is a reviving feeling.

Sometimes one may mentor you without being your official mentor. What do I mean by non-official mentorship? It means that they would guide you very subtly sometimes without even recognizing you until you reflect on your own learnings and how the person affected you or developed your personality.

Do you need a mentor? No. However, it is preferred that you acquire one, especially someone who would be eager for your character and professional development.

Tip #1: do your research on whom you want to choose as a mentor.

You only get one chance, so make sure you choose wisely.

Tip #2: Prepare yourself and the questions you want to ask.

It is wise that you know whom you are talking to and about what. What are you looking for in a mentor? What do you want or expect from that mentor? Will the specified duration, say 1-hour meeting per week, would be enough? How can you make the most of it? Make sure you go to the meetings prepared. They are prioritizing you amongst their busy schedule, so don't waste such a chance by coming unprepared.

Tip #3: Keep it simple, concise, and straightforward.

No need to go overboard unless you have built a long-lasting relationship. You will know when your mentor allows you to stay longer than the arranged time. Other than that, respect the original time you were given. If it's an hour, then after an hour you thank them and leave. If it's 10 mins, then ten minutes are what you got. No Questions.

Tip #4: It's up to you to do your job, not your mentor.

Your mentor is there to give advice and share their experiences with you; however, what you do with that advice is up to in its entirety. You are the one in the situation, so weigh your options and listen carefully. However, don't go to your mentor to ask for advice, only not to use it and have wasted both of your time. It's rude, and will most likely shake your relationship into pushing that mentor to not want to invest in you.

Tip #5: When you talk about a challenge or a situation, make sure you give them all the frivolous details.

Why? Because of any small details, though you may overlook, your mentor might not and may find them valuable which leads them to give you different feedback. So it's important to give them all details when explaining a situation while respecting the time you have to do so.

Mentors are important because they can show us we can bend in life when they guide us through difficult situations. They teach us how to hold ourselves and not show weakness in front of an audience. They show us how to navigate potential alliances, and enemies, and how to use each to one's advantage.

So if you are seeking a mentor, make sure they pull you off your comfort zone and push you to your limit only to recognize that's only the beginning of your potential. With the right ones, they are worth the experience, every time.