Jar of Hearts

I know I can't take one more step towards you
Cause all that's waiting is regret

As Alex saw Piper, she knew she had to walk away. She wouldn't fall for this anymore. She was tired of it. All of it. Of everything she did. Of all the betrayals. She couldn't deal with it anymore and she knew that if she got close again, she'd be doomed to getting her heart broken once more.

And don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore
You lost the love I loved the most

She was no longer the one that was going to chase her. Everyone assumed that where Piper was, Alex was going to be and it irritated her. She wasn't going to live in the shadow of the love they once shared. She was going to break away from it. She was going to make sure that Piper knew she lost her. For good this time.

I hear you're asking all around
If I am anywhere to be found

Alex had heard rumors of Piper desperately looking for her. She knew it wouldn't last. Larry would come back crawling and apologize and Piper would choose him all over again. Alex needed something. Someone. But she loved the other girl to much to even think about it. So she rather stay alone. She rather serve her time, get out of here, and start new somewhere else. Maybe Cambodia.

But I have grown too strong
To ever fall back in your arms

She was strong. She could make it through this. She wouldn't make the mistake of letting her in. She wasn't a side dish. She was a main course. She knew that. And someday someone else might see that too. The only problem was that she didn't want someone else to notice that. She wanted HER to notice it.

And it took so long just to feel alright
Remember how to put back the light in my eyes

It took Alex 8 years to get over what Piper did to her. It could've taken twice as long as long if it wasn't for her new girlfriend at the time, heroine. She had the marks on her arms to prove it. She didn't smile for a very long time. There was also a period of time when she didn't talk, just did her job like an emotionless robot. She programmed herself to do her job and sealed her feelings into a drawer.

I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed
Cause you broke all your promises
And now you're back
You don't get to get me back

Alex wished they had never met. That she never got up and went to talk to her in that bar. That she never asked the drunken girl to go home with her. She wished her lips weren't so addicting and her skin so soft. That she could forget her body. That she could stop her hands from wanting to touch her in spots that she was sure she was the only one that knew because she spent countless hours memorizing her body. She wished she could forget her sweet name that still brought fireworks into her stomach whenever she so much as thought about it. She was going to rip her out. No matter what was going to be the consequences, she would make her leave her being, even if she took her heart with her.

And who do you think you are
Running 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart

What was her problem? Why did she think she could go around and just break people? Because that's what she did. She broke Alex. Alex didn't function for years. And just as she was beginning to gain emotions, Piper showed up in her life once more.

You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul

How cold hearted do you have to be to do that to a person that did nothing to you? She might have got her into quite a bit of trouble while they were dating but that was nothing compared to a broken heart. Nothing compared to a broken heart. And she hated how Piper couldn't see it. She was to wrapped up in her perfect little life to see the damage she did on other people.

Don't come back for me
Don't come back at all

On this day, Alex declared she would be over it. She wasn't going to even acknowledge the other girls presence on that prison. She would avoid her at all costs but seem casual at the same time. She had no right to come looking for her anymore. She was over her. Well, not yet but she was going to be.

Who do you think you are?

Alex was in the library, trying to avoid the other woman. She was building her resolve. And she wouldn't back down. Not this time. But when she looked up, she met a set of blue eyes. And she felt all the anger and resistance she had build up to this point melt down into a puddle. The girl still had the same effect on her from many years ago. Who the fuck did she think she was?

(A/N: if you like my stories, please keep an eye out for my new Vauseman multi chapter it's going to be called Broken Love. A chapter should be out later tonight.)