Re-Imagine & Resurface

Toby's POV:

"Objection, your honor this is just cause for speculation. Cannot be considered a fact." my lawyer said, as Griffin's attorney stood. "Actually your honor it can be used as a fact, the fingerprints on the murder weapon was a pocket knife. The same prints that are from Toby himself" she said, as my hands were shaking. I looked over at Griffin who was sitting at the table next to her. My eyes then found Cleo and i was appalled, i was freaking stunned. 

Police then came up from behind me, and started to place hand cuffs on my wrists. The case was closed for today, as everyone else was staring at me. Cleo walked down from the stand, as the police officers contained me, gripping my hands in there grasps behind my back. I faced her, "how could you say that Cleo? you know i didn't hurt Margo! how could you betray her like that again?" i asked, as she just looked at me disappointingly, but she didn't say a word. I was confused, why was she doing everything she could to paint me out to be the bad guy? 

I'm not, anyone who knows me knows that. All i've ever wanted was for the truth about what really happened to Margo that night, to be exposed. For everyone to know, especially the court. But i looked down at Cleo's hand where her gaze fell, as Griffin entwined his fingers with hers. That was when it hit me. She was protecting Griffin because they were dating. But how? 

"Cleo.." i whispered, as i looked at her in shock, in disappointment. The police officers then forced me down the court and out of the room. 

Cleo's POV:

I couldn't watch as they took him away, Griffin was caressing my hand and my heart was too busy pounding. As the same question i keep asking myself kept circling my mind, was i doing the right thing? And if i was.. why did i feel so ashamed? I looked over at Emelie and Blair, who scowled at me, before leaving the court room. I followed after them, "Guys wait-" i started as i found them in the entrance way. "How could you say Toby did this after Blair saw him that night?" Emelie asked, as i frowned. 

"Who Blair said she saw was Toby that night" i said, as Emelie folded her arms. "That obviously wasn't true, she just said that to protect all of our asses from your new boyfriend, who's my ex by the way. Whatever happened to girl code?" Emelie asked. 

"Or standards.." Blair mumbled, "Cleo, how could you? i mean seriously, Griffin of all people? don't you remember what he did to me? I can already tell right now he doesn't care about you, he's just using you so he can stay out of jail. He knows Toby is on to him and the only way to get rid of him was to have you on his side. So you could testify against him. Which you did, he's not the victim here." Emelie said, as i was quiet. I didn't wanna believe anything she was telling me. 

Somewhere along the way i had started to fall for Griffin, and i didn't wanna tell Emelie or Blair because i knew this was how they were going to react. Margo had completely destroyed girl code for me. And i never felt the need to rebuild it, when the connection Griffin and i were building just made so much sense to me. Now thinking about it more, it does seem convenient that Griffin is making things official with me now, given everything that's going on. 

"Cleo, we literally drove a girl to kill herself!" Emelie said, as i shook my head. "No! we didn't because all the evidence points to Toby. I'm not just protecting Griffin, i'm protecting all of us from a murderer." i said. "Cleo, Toby loved Margo he would never hurt her, let alone kill her, you know that because you know him." Blair said, as i folded my arms. "I don't believe that anymore, he's out of control now. I don't even recognize him anymore." i said, as Emelie glared at me. 

"And all of a sudden that gives you the right to throw him under the bus? All of the evidence doesn't just point to Toby. The semen found inside Margo was obviously from Griffin. He literally admitted that on the stand, that Margo and him never even had consensual sex." Emelie said, as i rolled my eyes. "Just because that happened doesn't mean it was rape" i said, as Blair stepped towards me. "Cleo, do you even hear yourself?" she asked, as Emelie took her hand and pulled her back. "Cleo, you and me? we're done. we're no longer friends. You're just hiding behind these lies because you're afraid of facing the truth. The shame, the guilt, all because you are the cause of someone's death. You just hate to admit it." Emelie said, as she stepped back.