Chapter 9

The rest of the feast had been a mess. King Joeffry choked on a piece of cake and before he died he raised his finger towards his uncle. Cersei Lannister accused her brother immediately and the guards locked him away. A trial was ordered in which Tyrion chose the gods. I knew that my uncle offered him to be his fighter but this hasn't been the only occasion.

I couldn't forget Jamie so I tried to sneak out, but my uncle catched me. In his rage he told me something. A secret that changed everything. A secret they have been hiding for years.

"Stay away from him. His family is the reason you've never met your parents. You are the daughter of Elia Martel and Rhaegar Targaryen. You are the true heir to the iron throne and I will be damned if I allow these lions to rip you apart."

For a moment I couldn't breath. My eyes were wide opened and my mouth suddenly felt dry. I could feel my heartbeat raising as if a panic attack was coming around the corner.

Oberyn put his hand on my shoulder.

"Breathe Elia, breathe with me."

For a minute or two we stood still, focused on calming me down, until my breath and my heartbeat returned to a stable condition.

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" I whispered.

My uncle sighed.

"I shouldn't have told you this, I drank too much. Go to bed, Elia."

He turned around but before he could take any step forward I grabbed his arm and forced him to look me in the eyes.

"You are not leaving me with such a piece of news! Tell me the bloody truth!"

A sad smile appeared on his face.

"You're just like her. Not just from the outside, but also from the inside. You've got a kind heart, you care about other people and when something is not right you've got a heat like a dragon. You're right. It's time for you to learn your history."

And so on, I learned the truth about myself. A truth that has been hidden from me for over 18 years.

"Your mother married Rhaegar Targaryen because he had no sister to marry. You had two siblings. The night, when the red keep was attacked, wasn't a normal night. Elia gave birth to you. Nobody knew she was pregnant because she nearly left her room after Rhaegar left her for Lyanna. Just a few moments before she died you were born. She sent wet nurses and midwifes and some of her trusted friends to a ship to bring you to Dorne. When we heard what had happened to her and your siblings - we were devastated. You were our little wonder. The only living child of our sister. Dorans wife had been pregnant at this time, but lost the baby a few days before you arrived in the middle of the night. We paid the midwifes and everyone who was there to remain in silence. The next day Doran was the father of a new born baby. He may not be your father by blood but he loves you, Elia and in his eyes you are his child."

We remained in silence for a while, both processing what had just happened.

"So this", I put my hand against a wall, "all of this should be mine?"

"It is yours by birthright."

"I don't want it!", a small panic attack was coming to me again.

Oberyn put a hand on my shoulder.

"It doesn't have to. You can come back to Dorne and be the future regent, as it was already planned."

I turned my head and looked him straight in the eyes.

"You know that you can not fight for Lord Tyrion anymore. You wanted to revenge your sister, but I want to revenge my whole family."

His eyes widened.

"You will not take my place! I promised to not let any danger come close to you!"

"Well, you also promised to never tell me the truth", I said with a freezing voice.

"As I said", my uncle muttered, "just like your mother".

"So you agree?"

"No."

"But-"

"What do you think happens if you fight against the mountain? Who has the bigger reason to fight? The niece or the brother?"

I looked ashamed on the ground.

"I didn't..."

"I know, my dear. I promise you, I will kill the mountain and then will we all go home and never look back."

I nodded and after a hug I went to my chamber, not knowing that this was our last conversation ever.

The next day my uncle was killed and I became a prisoner for trying to revenge his death.