Chapter Three - Hard Working Year

I was twenty years old when my sister and I arrived to New York, my sister is three years older than me. We both found an apartment for us to stay in together, I had to start working as a waitress in a restaurant to pay my part in the economy life of apartment rent, water, cable and such. Whilst my sister finally began working as a teacher in a nearby school.

I told my sister that I was accepted by the most famous school of arts in New York but I wasn’t, I just wanted to start fresh and I did send them an application letter which was declined by Merinsha Decodra. She replied back saying that I need to act while feeling my soul, and she had too many people that applied for acting.

So then I decided to use this year as hard work, I participated in a hard working company of acting in theatres, in a dance teaching school and also in a singing teaching school. My new goal was to impress Merinsha Decodra with my dedication and hard work to advance myself more, then she would accept me for sure.

To pay my way in the apartment, life needs and schools, I had to work in more jobs, not just as a waitress but as a babysitter, a delivery woman and as a bartender, but I was also gaining a few cash from certain plays. I feel like I was living my grandmother’s life but in a different and safer way. Obviously there’s a lot of difference, but I’m working my way a lot to succeed my way into Merinsha Decodra’s school.

Merinsha Decodra is like a legend, if you’re in the same room as she is you would feel proud, if she accepts you into her school it’s like you’re saying you may have a more successful life in the future, if she hands you an invitation it’s like you just won the lottery, when you’re speaking with her it’s like you’re speaking with a legendary hero and when she compliments you on your work it’s something very special that you will never forget, that’s how much people see her, as a powerful proud woman.

Her school offers acting, dancing and singing advanced lessons in different importances, I wanted to join the best that there is with the best hard working teacher that she had to offer. When you’re doing all three subjects you’re showing her that you’re not giving up, in fact the exact opposite. She is a truly impressive proud woman that everyone admires.

After two months of my hard work, my sister started dating a rich man, they were both happy for several weeks until I caught him cheating on her with several other women. Each time my sister dates someone she always ends the relationships for a reason which mostly involved cheating, she was starting to see all men as evil creatures and the women as innocent people. She was being depressed for weeks thinking of men, that they are all evil and that no one cares about her and that she isn’t important.

I spent those weeks instead of relaxing in my spare time I was always giving speeches to my sister to give her hope, finally after all of those weeks her eyes opened to the truth. Not all men are evil, the world is balanced, you will always find that right guy someday and she is important, all women are important and should be proud of themselves, it is something that I taught others to become, one of them was my sister, but that was something that I could never become. I always see myself in a bad way, that I always need to improve day by day or else I will just go to the worse.

To me it’s like when I finally become famous, when I finally become a star, when I finally become an actor and an English teacher, that’s when I’ll finally become proud of myself, but that is something that my sister was teaching me for months right after I helped her recover from her depression. My sister was so thankful towards me for helping her, she is now once again proud of who she is and doesn’t see all men that way.

After several months, she opened my eyes and I actually did become proud of myself, but to become proud of yourself you can’t have someone else convincing you to become proud of yourself, you need to achieve the feeling of being proud of yourself by your own.

And that’s what I did during those months, she wasn’t just the one who opened my eyes, I was realizing that I work too hard and that I should be proud of myself for what I do while I was working and studying. And also the man who I thought was the love of my life helped me.