Chapter 14

When the time rolled around Candella arrived right as the hand struck five. When I opened the door, Candella had a very plain look on her face. The feeling was mutual, she didn't want to be here as much as I didn't want her here. But apparently she felt whatever magical entity she found was big enough to wear she had to come herself. We stared at each other blankly for a long moment.

            "Glad to see you're at least punctual," I said squinting my eyes. "That's not much of a redeeming quality."

            "Gonna let me in or what, you old hag?"

            "You're just as old as me, blondie," I said as I moved to the side to let her in.

            "Yeah, but if you became human in some magical way, you're age would catch up to you."

            "Damn witches and your magical elixirs." I closed the door as she moved to sit on the couch. I sat on the far end of the couch so I wouldn't have to be so close to her, no more than I needed to be.

            "I don't stink. Your brother, Cayden, found my scent quite sweet."

            "Bring up my brother, huh? Would you like this to be your last day of your eternal mortal life?"

            "Whatever, I'm just saying."

            "I don't like the way you smell. You smell tart and bland...and...greasy..."

            She arched a brow, feeling offended, "Well I don't care what you think." She took a deep breath and shook her hair out of her face. "Ready to hear what I have or not?"

            "Shoot."

            She then reached into her purse and pulled out my mother's silver locket and held it in front of me. "There is some really dark magic going on here..."

            "You would know about that, huh?'

            She rolled her eyes and continued on, "With spells like this...and the reason you can't touch it...well anyone in your family wouldn't be able to touch it because..."

            "Because what?"

            "Someone in your family had the spell done in the first place...and the only one who can touch it is them. Its a form of a protection spell to where only they can be protected...and if anyone in the family ever comes across it...they can't....very selfish."

            "But everyone in my family is dead..."

            "Well yes...but its possible that you have a descendent down the line...maybe someone in your family lied with a human and that's how...its possible."

            "I see...so someone...possibly a descendent of mine...had a witch make a protection spell on this necklace to keep themselves protected..."

            "And maybe it's possible a witch or warlock is your descendent..."

            I shivered at the thought, she was right but I know she mostly did that to spite me. "What kind of protection spell is this exactly...?"

            "The kind to protect life itself...even at the brink of death you will still survive...you may even seem dead but you simply become paralyzed that's what keeps you alive when you're at the brink of death."

            "Alright, anything else?"

            "Well I felt another presence...an odd and old presence...it felt like someone or something that shouldn't be here...but I feel very dark intentions..."

            "I forgot you witches sense everything...all the rights and wrongs of the universe with the forces of nature and all that...blah blah blah."

            "As you see why we hate you vampires. You go against all senses of nature."

            "Whatever...is that it?"

            "Well...I did a destination spell...and this feeling I get...leads to London."

            "London...? I frowned up at the idea. I didn't enjoy that place very much since that was where Antonio died. I hadn't been to London since I killed that pack of wolves. "You're sure?'

            "Positive. Or are you doubting my witchy powers of being in touch with universe and all that and blah blah blah."

            I eyed her with the look of an annoyed teenage girl and scoffed. "Ha ha..."

            "So let me guess...you're gonna go to London aren't you?"

            "Of course, I have no other choice."

            "Well yes there is, you could wait until I find some more info."

            I stood up, feeling flustered, "I don't have time for that neither do any of you. I can't wait while the killer of my family is residing in London feeling quite at piece. I want to take care of this as soon as possible."

            "Wow, did you actually take in consideration for the rest of us? Are you getting soft?"

            "I still hate you enough to kill you, so hold your tongue." As it got quiet for a moment I took a deep breath and sat back down on the couch, furthest from her. "But regardless, I appreciate you doing this. It has helped greatly, and I would like for you and Alec to come with me to London." That was very difficult for me to say and she knew that so she wasn't too rash or anything. "And the quicker we get this done the quicker I get you out of my hair."

            She smiled a little and chuckled, "No problem...and I completely agree. When do you plan to leave?"

            "In the next three days. Wednesday."

            "I can count."

            "Well you are blonde."

            She stood to her feet and headed toward the door. "If I do find out anything else before we leave for London, I'll tell you," She said as she started to open the door but I stalled her for a moment.

            "Candella..?'

            "Yes?"

            "Would you do me a favor? If you or maybe Alec could tell Carter about the plan and all and make sure he knows everything I know."

            "Why can't you just tell him yourself?"

            "He and I are no longer on speaking terms."

            She stared at me for a long moment as she glanced over me and I knew she understood immediately. "Alright, sure thing."

            She then shut the door behind her and left. As soon as she left I got another call from Mason to see if I wanted to go out on another date. I agreed. Why not? It'd give me something to do and distract my mind about Carter. I couldn't believe that it's only been about a day and I missed that bastard in even the slightest way. Well at least this way I would be able to be with Mason a little more. Maybe he could make me forget about Carter. But he was only a human and if I had a stable relationship with him he would still die at some point. But maybe it wouldn't hurt to try and even if he found out what I was and didn't accept me, I could easily compel him to forget.