[ CHAPTER ELEVEN, this town ]

THIS TOWN
niall horan

and i want to tell you everything
the words i never got to say
the first time around
and i remember everything from
when we were the children playing
in this fairground

ARLO WAS NEVER one to break driving laws. She hated driving already as it is, so if she had to do so, she was going to drive as safely as possible. Always putting her seatbelt on before starting the car, checking her mirrors as often as possible, and always being at the exact number of the speed limit.

But today is a different day. Today Arlo was speeding faster than she's ever driven before. Her right hand gripping the wheel so tight her knuckles were turning white, while her left anxiously ruffled her probably knotted hair. The girl herself wasn't even aware how fast she was going, seeing as the highway was practically vacant. The sky was growing darker by the minute and based on recent events, the adrenaline mixed with the fear of being late caused a never ending cycle of chills to dance around her skin.

It was now getting closer and closer to the time where Arlo was supposed to meet up with Matt and she wasn't ready. Mentally, at least. So many different possible outcomes were whirring through her mind a mile a minute and she hated it. Arlo generally despised anything if she didn't know what would happen at the end of it. She was a plan type of person, she always had a plan. If she hadn't calculated exactly how a situation would go, she would go through with it.

But Matt had always been the one to force her out of her comfort zone.

Arlo felt little to no control over this whole situation. After receiving very interesting information from Chris, she should've felt in control, right? She felt like she should have somewhat of an upper hand in this moment, but that fact that Matt made the plans was the thing throwing her off. He was never good at that.

That's now how Arlo found herself parking in front of the same exact building she had been hours prior to now. Maybe she was an addict, or maybe she couldn't afford therapy. Either way, Lou's was the perfect place for her to settle her nerves.

Quickly popping in, making eye contact with the man once more she held up two fingers. The man knew what she meant, and with an eye roll, he complied. Arlo stifled a laugh, walking up to the counter and hugging him tightly as he set the drinks down for her to grab.

"Thank you. For everything." She mumbled into his shoulder. Feeling the warmth radiate off the old man gave her just the sense of comfort and encouragement she needed.

"Yeah, yeah." Lou shooed her off, picking the drinking up once more and handing them to her. "Just tell me how it goes when it's done."

Arlo furrowed a single eyebrow at the man with a faint smile on her lips. She would've questioned how he knew so much but she knew better than that. Sending a nod his way, Arlo quickly made her way out the shop and back to her car, placing stoppers in the drinks to make sure they won't spill and sped off.

After arriving to their childhood park that held more memories than she could count, Arlo felt defeated as she noticed no one was there anymore. She hadn't known if Matt had been here waiting and left, or if he was the one running late.

Sighing to herself, Arlo slowly walked her way over to the swing seat, two cocoa's in hand and sat down. As she waited - appreciating the cocoa keeping her hands warm and protected from the cold of outside - she glanced around the park, remembering all the good memories she made here.