[ CHAPTER ONE, 911 ]

911 / mr. lonely
tyler, the creator
frank ocean
steve lacy

but i keep on dancin' to throw 'em off
i'm gon' run out of moves
'cause i can't groove to the blues

Arlo Reeves had been voted most liked by everyone for all four years of high school. She wasn't a social butterfly per say, but she did make it her duty to make sure everyone she'd been acquainted with felt as comfortable as possible.

Arlo had a specific group of friends that she would spend her every breathing moment with. She got along well with her teachers, straight A's with the occasional B, she could never walk past a donation stand without leaving a little something, no matter the cause; always searching to help someone out if needed.

You'd think it would be impossible to hate someone like her.

Almost impossible.

Matthew Sturniolo broke that record long ago.

Something about Arlo Reeves never sat right with Matt, though it was difficult to avoid the girl. Arlo and Matt shared the same friend group, except hers extended out further than his, which was another thing that bothered the boy.

How can someone be friends with so many people without having a single flaw? Everyone has one, it's part of human anatomy. Not all personalities match and people don't always fit together perfectly like a puzzle. It was basic science. So why did Arlo never have a problem with anybody?

It infuriated Matt. She had the perfect life. Perfect friends. Perfect grades. He thought she tried too hard and based her whole personality on being liked.

Which is why Matt currently resides in his room as Arlo's laugh echo's throughout his home. His bedroom door was closed yet he could still hear her annoying laugh through the walls. God, he couldn't even have peace in his own house.

She was laughing aggravatingly loud at something Chris said and that alone reminded him of Nick. Maybe that's why he hated her so much. No. He shivered at the thought of the two being similar.

Sitting up from his chair at his computer, he made his way out his room to find Arlo and Sage at the kitchen counter alongside his brothers. The sight of Sage cause Matt's shoulder to drop slightly. It's not like Matt had any problems with the boy, he was just another connection to Arlo.

Guilty by association or something like that.

They were all huddled over the counter with a game of Sorry scattered in the middle, while some Tyler, the Creator song played lowly through a speaker on the edge. Arlo was winning. Of course she was. He only knew this because the green pieces were in the lead, with blue not far behind.

Arlo always picked green.

Matt walked to the fridge, grabbing water while watching their game continue through his peripheral. How none of them acknowledged his presence. It wasn't until he closed the fridge that someone spoke up.

"Oh, what's up, Matt?"

Sage.

The curly haired boy smiled at Matt so genuinely it almost made him feel bad for his somewhat ill feelings towards him. "Hey, Sae."

"Who's winning?" Matt already knew the answer.

Nick, being too focused to look up from the board, spoke up as he moved his red piece. "Arlo's in the lead, but I swear I won't let her win if it's the last thing I do."

"Kid's mad cause he hasn't won a single round in the past hour." Chris giggled, mockingly rubbing Nick's shoulder is fake comfort.

"Well," Matt began. "Goodluck with that."

That was all he said before he made his way back to his room, not missing Chris mumbling in a deep voice, "back to the dungeon he goes."

It wasn't what his brother said that caught his attention.

It was how Arlo laughed at his joke.

Matt felt an unfamiliar chill down his spine and he hesitated by his door, peering over his shoulder for a moment, catching a glimpse of Arlo laughing.

He assumed it was a chill of his pure hatred for the girl.

As she finished moving her piece on the board, she glanced over to Matt, finding him already looking at her.

Arlo ever so slightly tilted her head, sending him a small tight lipped smile.

Matt only nodded, pressing his lips into a thin line, before entering his room once more.

This time leaving the door cracked.

very short chapter but
it's just the little intro.
all the chapters after
this will be much longer,
i pinky promise!!

(IF YOU WANT TO)
comment your thoughts
or literally anything,
because that's my
only form of
motivation LMFAO