2. Rulemaker of the Rainforest

"Are you okay?"

Tighnari's voice snaps you out of your spiraling thoughts, your expression shifting back to something relaxed like a rubber band when you lift your gaze up to him. He's staring at you, taking in the placement of your features and studying your face.

"Yeah, I'm good. Why?" You ask, trying not to look as miserable as you feel.

"Your sweating is excessive and you're out of breath."

You can't help the embarrassment that floods your face, eyebrows knitting together immediately at his perceptiveness. Still, you can probably save face before he asks why you look like you're embarrassed.

"I'm not exactly what you would call an active person...in the city where I'm from, the most exercise I ever do is walk to the bus stop," you say, noting his ear flick when you mention the bus. Of course he wouldn't know what that is. Your gaze drops as you consider a succinct explanation. "A bus is a method of transportation. It's long and it can carry about...thirty people? Sometimes more depending on size or if it has two floors. It stops around the city on a schedule so you can get off or get on the bus when you need to. The only issue is that it's time consuming thanks to all the stops."

When you look back up at him, his expression has transformed into a look of awe and interest. He looks like he has questions, opening his mouth until a wave of nausea rolls over you. Tighnari obviously catches this on your face, because he steadies you by grabbing hold of your bicep. Or maybe he noticed from the way you're about to pitch over to the side?

"You're about to fall over. If you ate anything inside the forest, you're going to have to tell me right now," he says, a stern tone laced with his words once again.

"I haven't eaten anything," you say, although you don't realize the double edge of this sword when his expression deepens more.

"You haven't eaten anything at all? Did you ever leave the cave? If you did, you didn't pass by any places with dying plants, right?" He's awfully worried for being a person that's just met you.

"No, I didn't leave the cave at all. Really, I'm fine. I had some crackers before I ended up here, so-" Your stomach takes the opportunity to grumble just as you say that, but it's low enough that you don't think he can hear it. Unfortunately, you're once again reminded that his ears aren't for show.

"You haven't eaten since yesterday...with a stomach that growls like that? It's possible it could have been more than that. How sure are you that you were only asleep for a full night? Your appearance here is already questionable, but we have no idea the amount of time between when you disappeared from your world and ended up in ours, do we?" Tighnari points out to your dismay, looking around and smiling when he catches sight of a tree with orange hanging fruits a few yards away on a hill.

"You're taking all of this pretty well, you know...has something like this happened to you before?" You ask, pulling his attention away momentarily from his discovery to regard you.

"Of course not. This is strange for me too. I'm just prioritizing getting you to safety before I start bombarding you with inquiries of the like. You don't look so good, so what's the use of panicking or stressing out in front of you when you're counting on me to lead you to safety? I've had to handle many crises here as a forest watcher. If I don't look concerned, it's only because I've had enough experience to temper my reactions."

"Right..." you answer with uncertainty, feeling somewhat discouraged by his response even as he presses a hand to your shoulder blades to urge you along towards the tree with him. Whether you can get back to your world or not, is that even something you would want? And what if you're unable to stay here? What if you go back and have to deal with that empty room again? With all those waiting bills you definitely don't have enough money to pay for this month?