Chapter nine

Brenda drove the bus all through the city while the kids and Grace were holding onto poles, seats and various other things for dear life. Eventually, they were stuck, cars of WICKED on all sides as Brenda got up. ''Get out of the vehicle!'' One of the guards spoke as Brenda turned to the kids and Grace. 

''Don't move.'' She started to get out before turning back. ''You're doing great.'' Brenda jumped out, staying in front of the bus as the WICKED guard shouted again. 

''Now step away from the vehicle. I said step away from the vehicle!'' She did, taking a few steps so she was in front of the bus, her gun in her hand. ''Put your hands in the air. Drop the weapon!'' 

''Here we go ... ''Grace whispered to herself as Brenda fired the Flare gun. Frypan was already in position, bringing the hook down as Brenda hooked the bus to it. ''Hold on to something!'' Grace yelled out as Brenda continued. ''Here we go.'' The two girls looked at each other as they grabbed onto the poled next to them, holding them in place. ''Brace yourself.'' They hit a building as they were being lifted up by the hanger that Frypan had taken over, moving them to the other side of the city. 

''Everyone hold on!'' Grace yelled out as the hook was beginning to slip, Frypan having to lower them harder than expected until it snapped, the bus falling down as Grace let go of the pole, looking at the kids. ''Everyone okay!?'' 

''Okay! Everybody out!'' Brenda yelled as she high-fived Grace, a smile on their faces. 

The group of kids, lead by Grace, Brenda and Frypan arrived at the spot where they were supposed to meet Lawrence, but there was no-one there. ''Lawrence?!'' 

''Wait, guys. Wait, wait, wait.'' Frypan turned to Grace and Brenda. ''Where is everyone?'' Grace shrugged before taking off, running into a direction and calling out. ''Newt!? Thomas!?'' 

''Thomas! Hey!''

''Lawrence!''

''Everything's gone!'' Grace called out to the other two, her eyes set in fear as they met up again. ''Now what?'' 

''Thomas, are you there?''

''Thomas, can you hear me? It's Grace.'' It stayed silent and Grace feared the worst, calling out again. ''Thomas, it's Grace, do you copy?'' 

''Yeah, Grace, hey I'm here.''

''Where the Shuck are you guys?''

 ''We got Minho, we're on our way to the tunnels.'' It stayed silent for a small moment before Thomas answered again. ''Grace, Newt's not doing so good.'' 

she quickly shook her head, pressing the button ''Listen, don't worry about that, okay? I've got the serum right here, you just need to get him here.'' Hope filled her chest at the mention of the serum, tucked away in her pocket. ''But Thomas, something's up, Lawrence is gone.'' 

''What is she talking about, he's gone?'' Gally's voice spoke through the walkie. 

''Him, his crew, everything.''Grace spoke to them again, looking towards Brenda. ''All cleared out. I mean, it's just weird. I don't know what's going on, but I think you need to get the hell out of there. Now.'' 

Sitting in the same spot made Grace more nervous than ever. Every second that passed was another second Newt didn't get the Serum. Her foot was tapping the concrete when the walkie finally rang out again. ''Grace, are you there?'' She rushed forward, grabbing the walkie. ''Thomas, I'm here.''

''We're not gonna make it.''

''Wait, what are you talking about?'' Her eyes were wide, turning to Frypan as he placed his hands on her shoulders. ''Just take the others. Get everybody out while you still can.''

''No.''

''Grace.''

''I'm not leaving you guys. Okay? So forget it.'' 

''Even though you should?''  The sound of the Berg called her attention, turning to Brenda and Frypan while rushing out. ''Thomas, don't worry. I'm coming to you.''

''What are you talking about?''

''Our ride's here! Just look for us near the tunnels.'' Frypan called the other kids over, rushing to the Berg. ''Vince?'' Grace looked shocked as the man stood in front of them, holding a hand to his heart. ''Hey, it's good to see you, too.''

''Yeah, I know. I picked up a stray.'' Jorge spoke as he appeared next to him, nodding to the inside. ''Let's get out of here, all right?''

''We're not done yet. Thomas and the others are still inside.'' Brenda spoke as she placed a hand on Grace's shoulder. ''Well, let's go get them then.'' Vince spoke as she nodded, a smirk on his face as she took his hand. ''Shuck yeah.''

Brenda, Jorge, Grace and Frypan rushed out of the Berg just in time to see another big explosion. ''Oh my god ... '' Grace turned to Frypan, who quickly pulled her into a side hug. 

''We can't stay here Bren.'' Jorge spoke as Grace quickly turned to him. ''They'll be here ... we're not leaving without them.'' A tear slipped from her eye, as she wiped it away. ''I'm not leaving without him.'' 

''Thomas? Can you hear me?'' Grace looked at the city, frowning at Teresa's voice coming through the speakers. ''I need you to listen to me. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back. Thomas, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore.'' Grace turned to the girl, her eyes widening in realization as she found new hope again, if she was able to make the Serum, she could safe Newt ... for good. ''It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick, because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back. And this will all finally be over. Please. Just come back to me. I know you'll do the right - '' It was cut off as Brenda turned to Grace. 

Her eyes were filled up with tears as Brenda pulled her into a hug. ''We can save him, I know you can make that Serum.'' Grace nodded when she suddenly heard her voice being called out. ''Grace! Where's the Serum!?'' She stood silent for a while, staring at Minho and Gally, no Thomas or Newt as she quickly pulled the Serum from her pocket, passing it to Minho.

''Let's go! Let's go!'' The four Gladers, plus Brenda rushed back into the city, ready to save their friend and boyfriend. 

Marry Christmas! So close to the ending! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated of when I post! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library