Chapter one

''There, that's it.'' Thomas pointed at the map as Vince, Newt, Grace, Brenda and Frypan stood around him. ''It's a few hundred miles. Based on the railways, everything that Grace and Aris told us, that's gotta be where they're headed. That's where they're taking Minho. We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week.''

''A week?'' He pushed his finger on the table as he leaned closer to Thomas. ''It took us six months to get here. We got over 100 kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever after what we just pulled. You wanna wander off to some random point on the map. You don't even know what's there.''

''I do.'' their heads turned to Jorge as he walked into the tent. ''It's been a few years, but I've been there. The Last City. That's what WICKED called it. It was their whole base of operations. If that city is still standing, that's the last place you wanna go, hermano. That's the lion's den.''

''It's nothing we haven't done before.'' Thomas shrugged. ''Yeah, with months of planning, and reliable information, the element of surprise, none of which we have now.''

''Vince, I've thought this through. Would you just hear me out?''

''The last time we went off half-cocked... I lost everything. You remember that?'' Grace sighed as she shook her head at him, remembering the past six months with WICKED. ''Look, I know it's Minho. All right? But you can't ask me to put those kids on the line for one man. I won't do it.''

 ''Searching the grid now.'' Newt and Grace each turned to the radio on the side, taping WICKED's communication. ''A is completed. Scanning B-sector now.''

''Shit. Hit the lights.'' Everyone scattered as Grace just sat there, not knowing what to do in the base. ''Let's go, let's go!''

Grace had walked up to Newt, the boy already spotting her and meeting her half-way, holding her in his arms. ''I missed you so much.'' She spoke as she held her hands on his back and placing her head on his shoulder. ''I'm so sorry we couldn't get to you sooner.'' He spoke as he still held her, desperate to have her near. 

''It's okay, I know you tried your hardest.'' She pulled her head back, pulling him into a kiss, her hands roaming to his cheek while his traveled to her waist. She finally pulled back, staring at her boyfriend. ''Thomas, I think he's leaving tonight, to get Minho. I want to go with him.'' 

He nodded before pecking her lips. ''I know, so do I. We're going to get him, with or without Vince.' 

''Where do you think you're going then?'' Newt stood in front of Thomas, switching on the light as he smirked at him.

''Newt...''

''Don't be a twat about it. I'm already in.'' He grabbed the bag from Thomas' hand as he turned to the car. ''Come on.''

''No. No, not this time.'' Newt threw the bag inside as he turned back to Thomas. ''Look, even if we find Minho, there's no guarantee we make it back from this.''

''Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?'' He threw open the front door, relieving Frypan behind the wheel and Grace in the front seat. ''Hiya Tommy.'' 

''Well, we started this together. May as well end it that way, too.'' Grace looked at the two as she nodded with a smile on her face. ''Let's get him back than, shall we?'' 

Grace slept for a while during the ride towards the Last city, her head resting on the window, her arms hugging herself. She jerked awake as she turned to the backseat, seeing Thomas and Newt both fast asleep. ''You're up soon.'' Her head turned to Frypan as she cracked her neck. ''Can't sleep all that great, the nightmares just keep coming.'' She sighed as she got herself upright, looking out of the window for a moment. ''They put me in some sort of test that made it look like I was back in the Glade ... I talked to Nick,Chuck, Winston.'' She swallowed past her tears as a lump formed in her throat. ''Jeff and Clint.'' She shook her head at herself. ''They weren't so nice though, I killed them all, or wasn't able to save them, same thing I guess.'' 

She sighed as she pushed her hands through her hair. ''I don't even know why I'm telling you this.''

''Because we're friends?'' Sche chuckled as she turned to him, a smile on her face. ''Yeah, we are.'' She turned to the backseat again, looking at Thomas. ''She was there, most times.'' 

''Teresa?'' She nodded again. ''Yeah, if we though she was a bitch when we were on the road, she's an even bigger bitch when she's working for WICKED.'' She heard a soft groan coming from the backseat, seeing Thomas waking up and quickly stopping the conversation of Teresa. 

A bit of a filler chapter and a sweet moment between Grace and Frypan since they didn't interact much during the second book! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated of when I post! See you on Saturday! 

-X Violet's-library