4

The moment I laid my eyes on her

The moment I laid my eyes on her. The brown haired little girl who's eyes were identical to my own. The cigarette between her fingers as she stared at me and my sons.

I took note of her small height, far too small compared to myself and her brothers; even her mother had quite a bit of height. The curls of her brown hair and the golden tan skin she had. I noticed the sticker tattoos on her left forearm, all of them no doubt having their own meaning. Her figure was almost exactly like her mothers, curvy and femininely petite, but the muscles in her arms obviously showed she exercised. I also saw the scars.

Starting from the top of her left eye, slitting through her eyebrow, down to the middle of her high left cheekbone. I saw the scars littering the back of her right hand, and her right bicep. A long knife scar starting at her collar bone and disappearing beneath her navy prison uniform.

When we saw her file, we decided to only see the medical so we could keep her safe, but didn't see the criminal, deciding she should get to tell us herself. Her medical file only held her birth certificate and her required infant and toddler injections; nothing more, nothing less.

There was no explanation for the scars or the loneliness in those pale blue eyes.

She walked with confidence and pride, as if anyone could try and tare her down, but would fail miserably. I saw straight through her fake smiles, and false displays of happiness. I have no doubt Antonio and Mateo did so too.

"Kalina, what do you want to order?" The man with tattoos asked me

"A twenty box of chicken nuggets with extra large chips and a cheese burger with a black coffee..." I listed off, waiting for him to tell me his name.

"Mateo, I'm the oldest brother." The tattooed guy -Mateo- answered.

"And I'm Antonio, the second oldest." The other man filled in.

Mateo ordered my food for me, and came back inside the limousine and gave me my meal. As I munched away I noticed we were driving closer and closer to the airport.

"Where are we going?" I asked, glancing out the window to see another plane landing on the runway.

"Home." My father answered.