26| Victory

"What the f**k?! Get out of my apartment or I'll call the police."

"Go ahead. I'm sure they'll be happy to hear about Finlay from you."

"What do you want?"

"Just a little friendly chat..."

The recording I did when I paid that bit*h a visit echoed around the silent courtroom. Candice looked at me horrified like she couldn't believe her ears.

Bit*h I'm an investigative journalist, what else do you expect of me?

I recorded my conversation with her, knowing it'll come in handy someday and it did.

"I pray you never find the love of your life, otherwise you'll kill him, too... Goodbye and hope you rot in hell, blondie!"

The recording stopped, and the room went silent.

"As you heard..." Mr. Wolf placed the device in front of the clerk. "She lied from the beginning and took money from some mysterious guy and brought the man she claims to be in love with in danger."

"Do you have any objection?" Judge asked the prosecutor, who opened and closed his mouth like a fish.

"I-I didn't. This is not me!" Candice leaped from her seat and the bailiffs grabbed her.

I've been charged with attempted murder, but they'll have to charge me for real after I'll kill this sl*t with my bare hands.

"Help Miss Candice take a seat while I would like the defendant's alibis to come forward."

Kayla came first and told them we went to the club and got drunk. The two guys who spoiled the drink on my dress didn't remember my face but my red hair. Michael continued with Kayla's story and told them he dropped us home and on the way, the accident already happened.

Paige told them how we were investigating the case until it was restricted.

"I know she's weird, but I don't believe she's capable of murder." She said, and I beamed at her.

Who would've thought beneath that strict principal is a gracious lady?

Bill told them about our interaction. It surprised me he remembered it, considering how drunk he was.

"I'm glad things ended between us." He let out a belly laugh and pointed at Candice. "Or she would have sold me too!"

God saved you, Bill.

Then it was my turn.

I told them how I met Finlay and thought he was hitting on me, then how I woke up at home not remembering anything and saw the news.

"I was only investigating the case, as I'm a journalist," I concluded.

"Why were you still doing it when the case got closed?" Mr. Wolf asked.

"Curiosity." I shrugged. "I needed a story for my promotion and knew this was the one."

I told them I went to the club again, where I met Conner. I also mention the Knight Corporation visit and what the security guard told me.

"I met Bill and asked Candice for the address and what happened there. You all have already heard it."

"Did you visit Mr. Reed's apartment?"

"No." I glanced at Conner. "I didn't wreck his house."

I lied because I knew I could get into a lot of trouble with the truth. They'll get convinced it was my hair in the wardrobe they found and I won't be able to prove to them it wasn't me who destroyed it.