12| Fantasize

After putting my things in the little cubicle, I completed the morning tasks I was given. It was almost noon when I was done with my work. I was about to get up to face the wrath of Paige but was ceased by Kayla when she stomped towards my cubical with a 'You are dead' look on her face.

"You were at Soul Groove last night?" She folded her arms around her chest and tapped her pump heel on the marble floor.

"Was I?" I gasped and acted obliviously.

"The last time I brought you there you were freaking out at how shady the place was and now you went there all alone?" She threw her hands in the air. "And looking for a blondie?"

"Michael told you," I said deadpan. "He couldn't keep a single thing in his stomach?"

"Well, I'm glad he did." She narrowed her eyes at me. "Because it didn't seem like you were planning to."

I rubbed my hands over my face in frustration. "I was going to tell you, but right now I have a lot on my mind, Kayla-"

"Like Reed." She said, making me pause in mid-sentence.

"How do you..." I trailed off but already knew the answer.

Michael.

Scabby bassa!

"He told me you were looking for some blonde girl you saw with him. What exactly happened that night, Amber?"

"I told you-"

"I want the whole truth." She looked at me seriously. Sighing, I told her everything except the part where I can see Finlay and made sure no one else was listening.

"... then I told him to f**k himself and insulted his girlfriend and walked away. When I came back and sat with you, I saw him and the blondie walking out of the club fighting with each other."

"That's it?"

"Yes. That's it." I shrugged.

"You are obsessing over him because he hit on you with his girlfriend in the bathroom."

"I'm not obsessing over him, it's just..."

I can't tell her I'm seeing him or else she'll think I need to visit a mental hospital.

"Spill Amber."

"It's just that I saw him before the accident happened, and I know for sure it wasn't an accident since Conner is involved in the case. It's... Curiosity."

"Curiosity killed the cat." She said in a monotone, and I rolled my eyes.

"It's a good thing cats got nine lives."

"I'm worried about you Amber." She whispered, tucking her raven hair lock behind her ear. "I don't want you to get into a mess."

"I'll be fine besides... It's a story that'll definitely get me a promotion." I winked at her and got up from my seat.

"Where are you going now?" she asked in a concerned voice.

"Paige."

"You're kidding me, right?" She snorted, but when she saw the serious look on my face, her expressions fall. "You're going to the devil!" She squeaked, earning shushes from the nearby colleges.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a library.

"I'm not joking, and she was the one working on this case. I'm sure she has some classified information on Fin before the case got confidential."

"Fin?" Her face scrunched in confusion.

"Finlay,"

"You are calling him Fin?" She raised her brows.