chapter four: anywhere you'd like

THE BASEBALL GAME was a success, fortunately. But bruce hadn't seen a sight of Vance, not a glimpse of those matted blond curls standing in the crowd cheering him on as he hit the ball and managed to get a home run.

He was slightly disappointed, he knew it wasn't likely. Vance showing up at a baseball game and cheering somebody on? Never heard of. But it was saddening to see his promise.. no not promise. He didn't promise it.

He did hope, before the game that Vance might show up. Just for a second, but it's Vance. He lies, he cheats, he doesn't care. Bruce secretly wished he did.

Dropping his bat to lean against the metal bench, he pulled his helmet off his head. Placing it besides him before resting his tingling arm atop. Scanning through the exiting crowds one last time in hopes of spotting the lonesome boy, but to no luck.

Bruce should've expected it really, Vance Hopper, standing him up? It was very predictable. Bruce sighed, he couldn't do anything now. He'd atleast won the game, just like Ben had said. Yeah, atleast Ben was here.

"Told ya!" Benjamin stood infront of the sulking Bruce, a bright smile plastered on his lips as a glisten of pride shaped his eye.

"Yeah, I guess you did." Bruce chuckled, leaning against the brick wall behind them and looking up at Benjamin. His brown hair was a mess, his cheeks red and sweat was dripping from his face. He was out of breathe, huffing and puffing as if to suck in as much air as he could.

Bruce's parents didn't turn up this time, they told him that he'd disappointed them, let them down. Bruce never understood why his parents never let him be enough, never let him stand up and be the young boy they want him to be. Instead they kick him, punch him, do everything to keep him to the ground. Sometimes it felt like no pain at all, but sometimes it felt like the most torturous thing he'd experience. There is nothing worse than parents who will never see you for your worth.

"Honestly mate, you're the best batter I've ever witnessed!" Ben complimented, patting him on the shoulder as if a congratulations.

Bruce should be thankful, but he's more upset. Nobody sees Bruce for Bruce, they see him as somebody they can use to get what they want. They look at him and don't see his kindness, his generosity, they see him as somebody they can throw away after usage. Bruce wondered if Vance saw him like that, wondered if the only reason Vance invited him out was to break the "perfect boy" record that Bruce holds high. He didn't like that thought at all, he wasn't sure why. He didn't even know Vance that well.

Benjamin was waiting for a reply, a thank you, and after not receiving one he removed his hand from Bruce's padded shoulder and scratched his neck. "I see your not up for talkin' then," he chuckled awkwardly, as if to signify he was sort of embarrassed. "I have to leave anyone, don't stay 'ere too long, yeah?"

Bruce nodded in reply, not really paying attention to anything he said. He wouldn't admit it but he was upset, very upset, Vance hadn't turned up to his game. Bruce wished Vance had promised, maybe then Vance would've realised he can't break it. But to be honest, he probably would've broken it anyways.

Benjamin was gone by the time bruce had decided to get up and leave, it actually wasn't that long after everybody had left. Dragging his feet against the sand, it scruffed his white socks, turning them a brownish colour.

He shouldn't have cared this much, Vance was just a stupid boy anyways. Who he'd met yesterday, the prettiest boy he'd ever seen.

Bruce, what the fuck?

He shook his head, almost as if to shake those thoughts from his head, it was wrong. To think like that, it was wrong.

Walking on the pavement of the baseball ground, his hair stuck across his sweaty forehead. He wiped it with the back of his wrist, letting the breeze brush through his uncombed messy hair. Bruce had never been stood up, was this even standing him up? It was a public baseball game, not a private affair. What was Bruce going on about this time.