13

She's like her sister

a month later...

River made her way to Pete and Bradley, she couldn't wait to tell them the news.

She got out of her car, grabbed her crutches. She saw that Pete and Bradley were working together on a plane. She smiled. They were getting along again.

Bradley saw the woman and smiled. "Hey Lana, how you doing?" Bradley asked and Pete looked at her. "I hate this but I have some great news on Harper and myself of course." Lana said. "Really what would that be?" Pete asked. 

"She got accept and will be leaving for training this fall." Lana said with a smile. "WHAT! That's awesome!" Bradley exclaimed. "And this about you?" Pete asked. "I was promoted to Captain, so you sir are looking at Captain Lana "River" Summers." She said with a grin. Pete smiled and hugged the girl. "I am so proud of you both." Pete said.

"For what it's worth, Harper is keeping the call sign Lightning." Lana said. "It fits her." Pete said.

..............

Lana and Bradley made there way to the hard deck. She saw her sister playing pool with Javy and Reuben. "Didn't you two learn the last time?" Lana asked them as she made her way over to them with Bradley. "Yeah... but we are doing this for fun, besides we are celebrating that she was accept and she'll be one of us in the future." Javy said. "Wait, Harper is going to Navy this fall?" Natasha asked with surprised. Harper nodded. "Oh my goodness, Congratulations!" Natasha said as she and Robert hugged the girl.

Jake approached Lana. "She's like her sister." Jake whispered and she looked at him. "Yeah." She said. "Also you guys are looking Captain Summers over here." Jake said with a proud grin. "WHAT?!?" Everyone exclaimed. 

She smiled and nodded. "Congratulations!" Natasha said as she pulled the woman into a hug. Harper grinned at her sister. "You deserve it! You earned it!" Harper exclaimed and everyone agreed with the teen.

"Now, Lightning, are you excited about this fall?" Lana said with a smile. "Yeah... it's my calling, just like it is yours." Harper said. Lana smiled.

................

Lana sat outside. "You okay my darling?" She heard Jake asked her as he sat down next to her. "Yeah, things are on my mind right now." Lana said. Jake grabbed onto her hand and held onto it. 

She looked over at him. "My little sister is growing up... oh I am so proud of her.. mom would be too." Lana said. Jake then grabbed her hand and they looked into each other's eyes. "I'm proud of the brat too." Jake said and Lana giggled.

"When will you stop calling her that?" Lana questioned. "When her older sister stops calling me Bagman every now and then." Jake said. "In your dreams Bagman." Lana said as Jake glared at her, she giggled. "I am just joking with you, my little sister is quite brat." Lana said as he smiled then pressed his lips to hers.

"But she's growing and learning." Jake said as he pulled away.

"Just wait till she gets to Top Gun."  Jake added. "Speaking of that, she' s doesn't know it yet." Lana said. "Doesn't know what?" Jake questioned her.

"That will be teaching at Top Gun, along with flying, I took up a teaching opportunity." Lana said with a slight smile.

"That's great." Jake said as he hugged her.

................

Harper looked at her sister and Jake outside. "You ok there Lightning." She looked over to see it was Bradley. "Yeah... just things on my mind." Harper said. Bradley sat down next to her. 

"Am I even going to make through training... most importantly through Top Gun." Harper said as she looked down at the ground. Bradley sighed. "You are having doubts." Bradley said.

"People will expect me to be like Lana." Harper blurted out which caused Bradley to shake his head at the teen. "No no, even your sister will tell you that, you be you... beside what we all have seen is you and Lana are very different in flying which is a good thing, you don't want to be too much like her but you should take her advice." Bradley said.

Harper snorted, "Like she took that admiral's." Harper said. "It worked didn't it?" Bradley questioned. "Guess your right on that." Harper said. "Believe me, Lana does give great advice I wouldn't be surprise in a couple of years she become an admiral." Bradley said. Harper smiled. "Then I would be proud sister like I am now." Harper said which caused Bradley to smile.

"Yeah." He replied. "Our lives have changed since our mother's death, but it made me realize that Lana is always there for me despite how much of ass I was, she'll still be there for me in the future to come, I'll be there for her in future as well." Harper said.

"What do you think of her with Hangman?" Bradley asked. She looked outside, her sister was giggling at the man. "Well, I already warned Mr. Seresin, if he hurts my sister... I'll kick his ass." Harper said. Bradley snorted. "Yep... I can see you doing that." He replied.

Harper then hummed. "But you know, I don't see him hurting her.... I see him being with my sister for a long time... I mean a really long time." Harper the said with a slight smile. "That's all I ever want for my older sister... is to be happy, after all she took mom's death very hard, that's all I ever wanted, for her to find a source happiness besides flying... she's found it." Harper said.

..................