2

I'm being serious

Lana woke up the next morning, it was four thirty in the morning. She heard movement in the kitchen. So she got out of bed, put her hair in a messy bun for now then walked to the kitchen. She saw Harper cooking and she risen her brow at her little sister.

"Cooking me breakfast, that's not going to get you out of the predicament your in." Lana said as she sat at the table. She heard Harper growl and Lana sighed. "Why have you been lying to me?" Lana said sternly to her sister but Harper stayed silent. "I'm being serious on this." Lana said and Harper still didn't say a word. "Did you think I wouldn't find out, you playing pool with Pilots and I am a pilot, I would've found out eventually if Phoenix didn't mention your name." Lana explained. "I'm not a kid." Harper mumbled. "But your my little sister." Lana replied. Harper turned and looked at her sister. "I AM NOT A CHILD!" Harper shouted. "BUT YOU ARE STILL A MINOR AND YOUR MY RESPONSIBILITY!" Lana shouted back.

"I know, but let me live!" Harper exclaimed and Lana scoffed. "Let you live, I won't be able to live with myself if something were to happen to you." Lana said. Harper glared at her, "Says the one doing dangerous shit for a living!" Harper shouted as she turned off the stove and left the kitchen. Lana sat there and sighed.

.....................

"River... you ok?" Bob asked the young woman as Rooster and Phoenix looked at her. "No, Harper and I got into it about last night, I just don't know what to do." River said as tears were wanting to come out. They all sighed. "I just wish she understood in my perspective and why I am so protective..." River explained as they listen to her. Hangman was listening and his heart stung for her. "I just feel so defeated." River said as a tear slipped and she wiped it away.

"She'll realize it sooner or later." Phoenix said. "Don't let this bring you down, like Phoenix is right, she'll realize it soon." Rooster said as he patted her shoulder. She smiled a bit. "Thanks." River said as she smile at the three of them.  "Attention on deck!" Someone shouted as everyone rose from their seats, standing at attention for their superiors.

Admiral Bates approached the podium. "Good Morning, Welcome to your special training detachment. Sit down." following orders, everyone took their seats. " I am Admiral Bates, call sigh Warlock. You are all Top Gun Graduates, the best of the best, but that was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter jet levels the playing field. We no longer possess the technological advantage. Success depends on the man or woman in the box. Half of you will make the cut and only one of you will be named mission leader. The rest will attend to any reserve roles necessary." 

"Your instructor is one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. His exploits are legendary. What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death." Warlock remarked as River raised her brow. "I give you Captain Pete Mitchell, call sign Maverick." Warlock concluded and stepped away as Maverick took his place. Rooster clenched his jaw while River shook her head, "Well Damn." She muttered

"Good morning." Maverick said then he held up the F/A-18 manual, "This book contains everything they expect you to know about your aircraft. I assume you all know it well?" He questioned, as he earned him few verbal responses but mostly nods.

He tossed it into the trash bin beside him, "So does your enemy but what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intent to find those limits and push beyond them. So today, we will start with what you think you know." He said and Dismiss everyone to grab their gear and head to their respective planes.

"Good morning, aviators. This is your captain speaking. Welcome to basic fighting maneuvers. As you were briefed, today's exercise is dogfighting. No missiles. Guns only and no going below the hard deck of five thousand feet. Work as a team to shoot me down or else." Maverick said to everyone.

"Or else what, sir?" Fanboy asked into the comms. "Or I shoot back." Maverick respond.

"How about we put skin in the game." Payback countered. "What do you have in mind?" Maverick asked him. "Whoever gets shot down first has to do two hundred pushups." He responded.

"Two hundred? Harper needs that after what's she has been doing behind my back." River said bitterly then sighed. "Don't let your sister get to you there River, she's a teenager." Fanboy said. River rolled her eyes. "Not excusable but Payback two hundred pushups?" She questioned him

"That's a lot of pushups." Maverick commented. "They don't call it exercise for nothing, sir." Fanboy responded. "You've got yourself a deal. Let's turn and burn!" Maverick's jet soared between the jets of Payback and Rooster, catching all three of them off guard. "What the..." River said as they all took off.

........

River walked to her car, after she just got done with her two hundred pushups and changed in the locker room. "Hey Lana!" She turned to see Jake coming up to her. "May I help you?" She asked. "Look, I don't know what to say in situations like this but I am sorry you and your sister are having problems, in ways you need to let her grow but at the same time, she needs understand why you are protective of her." Jake explained. Lana sighed.

"I know... but things have been difficult since our mother passed away last year and..." Lana said then froze. Jake sighed. "I'm sorry for your lost." He said to her. Lana looked up at him and smiled slightly. "Thanks.." She said. "She'll come around." Jake said. "When?" Lana asked. "She will." Jake assured her. "Yeah someone needs to talk her because she won't listen to me." Lana said then sighing. "I could." Jake said and Lana looked at him.

"You sure you want to do that?" She questioned him and he looked at her. "This is Harper." Lana said. "So what." Jake said. "Well if you insist." Lana said as they stood in silence.

Jake looked at her, "Your something else that's for sure." Jake said as he broke the silence. Lana looked at him, "What's that suppose to mean Seresin, is that a bad or good thing?" She questioned him. He grinned at her, "Good." He said. "You cocky ass." Lana said as she playfully hit his shoulder and he chuckled. "Lana, I was wondering if you like to hang out sometime?" Jake said. She looked at him and smiled, "I would love too." 

............