Chapter 4

As you walked down the hall you could see your friend distancing themselves quite a lot from 096. But 096 seemed to not notice. 096 was quiet and content with the situation.

Maybe the fact someone else wasn't keeping it in chains and was walking alongside it "equally" meant something to it. Or maybe your just looking too deep into it.

096 was only supposed to have limited consciousness or something like that. It's not like you were allowed to read the file since you were still only a junior researcher.

They stopped walking. "Hey, this room is good. We're getting really close."

You looked back at 096. "Okay, buddy, can you wait in here? Don't worry, we won't be long."

You faked a smile. You hated the thought that you might be betraying it somehow.

Sure you were always going to take it back it's containment but the MTF and guards always seemed to be so rough... 

Maybe they thought it was justified... It was when it came to some anomalies.

Reluctantly, 096 did go into the room to wait. It was some kind of storage room.

As you walked away your friend spoke up again.

"We're going to run up to them and tell them we believe we heard an anomaly in the room we left 096 in. Try to at least look a little scared or something."

You smiled, "Sure".

You walked a bit closer before you could see the MTF standing guard. Your friend started running so you followed closely behind.

"Dr. Ayton. What are you doing? And... with them no less..."

Is your reputation in the foundation really that well known? And is it really that bad?

"Y/N got lost and we bumped into each other. We were trying to get to a safer space but... We believe we heard an anomaly in one of the storage rooms back that way. Possibly 096 as there was crying."

"Sure it wasn't any personnel?"

"We were afraid to check," You quickly added.

"Alright. Sammy over here."

"Yes sir?"

"Take Dr. Ayton back to his team as I believe he is meant to be helping search for an anomaly and Y/N to a safer spot. Be back here as soon as possible in case we need backup."

"Okay. Come with me, as you know, Dr. Ayton, there should be an elevator not too far from here. Do you know where the MTF group you were assigned to might be?"

"Probably a few floors up."

Sammy looked over to you, "Hey, aren't you that junior researcher who was caught walking with 096 during a different breach-"

Suddenly you heard gunshots and screams.

You froze, something went wrong didn't it?

You could hear words yelled from down the hall, "GET DOWN".

Your friend practically pulled you towards the wall and to the ground. 

You instantly cover your head. You didn't know exactly what had happened. But as you head something run by you and crying, you could sure guess.

After a few minutes, your friend helped you stand back up.

"N- Now what?" You asked.

"I... don't know...".

Two MTFs ran up to you, probably the only ones who survived.

"God, I hate this job..."

You looked down at the ground to see Sammy, he was... Shaking...

"Is... he okay?" You asked.

"Come on Newbie, we have a job to do."

Sammy looked over to you, "Th- They're coming with us".

"What?"

"You've been seen with 096 before... It was calm with you. Do what you did last time."

The other MTF stared at you. "Is that true?"

"You... just have to be nice."

"You knew it was in that room, didn't you? There are so many other anomalies it could have been so why did you think it was 096?!" Sammy yelled.

"Sammy! Calm down. Don't let your emotions get to you like that." 

"Don't be mad at Y/N it was mostly my idea..." Dr. Ayton said.

"Dr. Ayton. This is a serious issue that you two caused." One of the MTF agents said.

You sighed, "If you can find it I'll try to help...".

The other MTF ran off as Sammy hesitated. He eventually followed after.

"Y/N."

"Yes?"

"We're about to be in so much trouble."

"I think we already are..."