00| PROLOGUE

EPITOME OF BEAUTY

00.PROLOGUE

1 year ago

WAKE UP ADARA.

The dream world slowly started dissipating, sleep clearing away and reality coming into view. The birds sang a sweet song to her, reminding her it's yet another day-but this day wasn't like the others, no, THIS ONE WAS SPECIAL.

Adara opened her eyes, blinking them to adjust to the brightness of the hospital room she occupied. The walls pristine white, a chair or two pushed up against the wall for her non-existent visitors, a locker in the corner to fill her belongings with and the bed she laid; right in the middle of it all. The room had become her home, a sacred place where she could be alone but also feel love bounce off the walls.

That's what happens when you end up staying in the hospital for a whole year, you get used to it all-all the lost souls stuck in every brick of the walls of your room whispering bittersweet secrets to you in your dreams, used to the hushed heart-aching prayers that still manage to slip through the thin walls, the loneliness and sadness that looms over you like a black shadow; a forsaken place she despise but loves at the same time.

She brushed a hand through her hair and walked to the bathroom to freshen up before going out to get something to eat.

The room now felt lonely after her roommate had been moved out-a near death accident all it took. It remained blanketed in quietude, no longer had she someone to tell her their experiences before being bedridden, someone to fall asleep with when the nightmares come for a visit and someone shed fall asleep listening to sing all night. JACOB WILLS. A man who had made her feel at home more than her own family and the man who'd shown her the true meaning of a father's love.

A pity they all left in the end, no one ever stayed around in her life-especially when its something or someone good. Happiness is something she ever only experienced around him but it was never wholeheartedly. The constant reminder of him leaving stayed rooted in her mind, constantly reminding her not to get too attached, that all that's good isn't for her-never will be.

Adara finishes prepping up and exits the room, walking down the hallway to the room shell have her last meal.

The hallways aren't as crowded today, a person here and there; all going on about their day. Upon opening the cafeteria doors, the smell of bacon soup wafts the air around her causing her to scrunch her nose in distaste. The food here always wasnt the best but it was enough to fill her up. Cracked walls hidden by ugly bright yellow wallpaper, a serving counter to her left with a line of people happily accepting their food, small round tables scattered all over the room and a big wide window to the right; letting in a lot of the much needed sunlight-it has been her least favorite room around here.

She walked to the counter and received her food with a smile as always, went to the back tables where she used to sit with Jacob. She stopped after the incident, it didn't feel the same nor does it now but she thought, since its her last day she'd at least revisit; reminisce about their time together and maybe leave him something for when he woke up and came to their table.

"Sweetie, you miss him I know but how about you finish your food first then well go pack up quickly before you leave. Is that okay?" Nurse Magnolia, a nurse assigned to watch and take care of her broke Adara out of her train of thoughts as she suddenly said. The nurse noticed Adara was playing around with her food as usual whenever she sat on that specific table, lost in her own mind barely paying attention to the world around her-immediately telling her who's on her mind. Adara eventually picked the spoon up and began to slowly eat.

***

During packing, the conversation between Adara and the nurse was kept light about Jacob, the nurse trying hard not to slip up about the boy's state. They finish, and with only a minute to spare before she has to go back to her hell-a place she should be happy to be going back to-she takes the time to see him for the very last time. Sadly.

It wasn't a pretty image to remember a friend by; machines hooked all over his body, body much thinner and bony than she recalled and skin, ashen and gray. He looked dead. Adara took his hand and softly rubbed it. She would miss him and hopefully when he does go, he'll be happier and all will be better. REST WELL MY FRIEND.

***

The door loudly shut behind her, but even that wasn't enough to wake the unconscious woman up. The house is still as she remembers; the stench of alcohol strong in the air, bags of cocaine and bottles of beer everywhere, a man she doesnt know laying on the couch and her mother unconscious on the door.

Adara kicked through the mess to get to her room-the only decent room in the house. It too remained the same; empty and untouched. This was where she belonged, the only world she knew and the only world she'll ever know.

OR SO SHE THOUGHT..