ℝ𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖

Tap..tap..the hurried taps of footsteps could be heard on the crosswalk, trying to run to escape the thundering rain in the dry grey sky as it flooded the road with water. It deluged the area with its cries as it appeared that God was punishing mankind for all the sins it had perpetrated against the beautiful world and punishing them by creating a swamp over human creation.

One of the footsteps was of Kamala Hills, who had her bag on top of her head to stop the rain from soaking herself, well, as much as it could. Her prominent black hair, which others frequently remarked on because it resembled her mother's hair, was clinging to her face and neck. A newly bought beige coat was now brown due to being wet. In one of her hands were her sandals, which she had borrowed from her friend. She was walking barefoot with a broken heel.

Tears, that were not welcomed, were running down her cheeks and the beautiful makeup she had worked so hard on and enthusiastically on all morning was suddenly wrecked. Everything about this day of hers was terrible. All the happiness that she was feeling was gone. Now, all that she was feeling was annoyance and exhaustion. She couldn't wait to go home and wait for the rain to go away.

When the rain abruptly stopped, Kamala mistakenly fantasized that the sun would rise and her horrible day would become better. Before the fantasy could manifest, it began to snow, dispelling her delusion. As the snow started to fall, her tears started to condense into crystals on her face.

Fortunately for Kamala, it appeared that her luck had not run out yet. She could see her car in the distance, which she had inherited after her father passed away. She sprinted towards it as if she needed it to live, and if she didn't see her car at that moment, she wouldn't be far off from the truth.

As soon as she reached her car, she flung open the door and sat in the driver's seat. The moment she closed the door, a sigh could be heard from her. All Kamala could think about as she rested her head on the headrest of her car was how comfortable it was and how much she wished she could just stay in that seat the rest of her life.

She decided to close her eyes for a second to breathe and was about to fall asleep when a sudden phone call came from her phone that was left in the car due to her forgetfulness. Annoyed from being woken up, she picked up the call. 

"Hello?"

"Hi Kamala" fondly replied a deep voice

"Oh, it's you. What's up, Chris? " Relief could be heard in Kamala's voice after finding out who it was on the call with her. She loved talking with Chris, who was someone who was always there for her. He always had this ability to tell when she needed a pick-up or when she was feeling down. But it always bothered him when she was unhappy, so she tried to keep her tears to herself-

"Were you crying?" However, her efforts were in vain. Her clogged nose and cracked voice betrayed that she had a meltdown.

"What's wrong Kamala" In Chris's voice, there was an evident concern.

"It's Nothing....just that it's not been easy..since the day of the accident." Kamala took a deep breath to get rid of her scattered speech.

"I thought I'd moved on, but apparently not, and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the job I applied for today," Her stress visible in her voice as she started talking rapidly to Chris, feeling safe and at ease now that he was here.

"Well, it's only been a few m-ths since then. -t's okay to take some time off to m-ve on. As for your job -ou know your mother would l-ve to live with you at her h-me till you can get a j-b. " Chris's voice was starting to glitch due to the snow.

"Hmm" Kamala murmured in agreement as she looked outside the car window to see that the snow had finally started slowing down. as she looked outside the car window and saw that the snow had finally started slowing down. In the distance, in fount of a little house, there were some flowers covered in snow but their colour could still be seen underneath it. Lilac was the colour. They reminded her of...

No, she didn't want to remember that day she lost the most important thing in her life...her-

"Hey! You there?" The voice jolted her out of her reverie. He was always good at that...

"Um ya, sorry I was just...lost in thought"

"Oh, are you looking outside with a longing gaze again? Aghh I love when you do that. You look so pretty while doing it"

Kamala giggled, her face lighting up with a smile at his correct assessment of her movement. Her problems were momentarily forgotten.

"You!!! Shut up!!" her grinning could be heard in her voice.

"No seriously, aphrodite would be jealous of you"

A smile took permanent residence on her face...it looked like it belonged there. A comfortable silence took over in the car.

"Thank you," a small voice came from Kamala, trying not to let anyone other than the person who gave it to her hear it. She had sorely missed this.

"You're welcome" Chris' voice tinged with a beaming smile.

"I really lov-"

The ringing of Kamala's phone cut short their jubilation and declaration of their love for one another. When Kamala recognized who was contacting her, she let out a groan.

"I have to cut the call short, the lawyer is calling"

"Oh okay...don't forget to call your mother. She worries about you, you know"

"Hmm maybe" Kamala's last words as she ended the call.

A sigh and then-

"Hello?" said Kamala as she picked up the call

"Hello, Ms Hills, I hope this is not an inconvenient time to call?" A female voice responded sincerely in their tone.

"Hi Allison, no I was just in my car talking with my mother" lied Kamala

"Oh, I hope I didn't interrupt with anything important?"

"Oh no, we were just finishing our conversation when you called." Is there an issue? Kamala's voice sounded worried.

"I just wanted to reconfirm if you are able to come tomorrow"

" Yes definitely. The court is not too far from my house. I don't- can't miss this" Kamala remarked while clearing her throat.

"Don't worry Kamala, he would be punished for his crimes against Chris and again I'm sorry for your husband" Allison reassured Kamala with solemnity in her voice.

"Oh thank you. I don't know what to do to avenge Chris.....I still see him sometimes...I envision him talking to me like the good days. I miss him......