Modern Myth

"So what's your name?" I asked smiling at the petite blonde in front of me. She wasn't anything special, but I was bored for the moment and decided to have some fun. She smiled and started doing some stupid hand gestures. "I'm sorry, is that suppose to mean anything to me?" I asked while rolling my eyes. She pointed to her throat and shook her head and mouthed 'I'm mute'. You have got to be kidding me, I thought.I put on a bright smile and said, "Sorry, I don't do mute chicks." With that I left and while making my way outside, I bumped into someone. "Watch it!" I told them as I shoved my way forward."That was uncalled for Aiden Williams." I turned to see a brown-haired girl that I somewhat recognized from my classes. I rolled my eyes at her and told her, "You bumped into me, so you have to watch where you are going." I was about to turn around when she angrily yanked my arm back."That girl who couldn't talk back there that you rejected, just because she was mute, liked you and you threw her away like trash. I saw the looks you were giving her all month and a now that you know she can't talk, she isn't good enough for the high and mighty Aiden Williams. Someday, the same pain that you caused all of those others, you are going to get and it will become apparent that all you love is yourself." With that, the girl spun and walked away.

****************************

Catching up with my friends, we headed to our usual hangout on Fridays; the abandoned fairgrounds. It was a ways out of town, but provided a creepy and empty place to mess around. When we got there, we all decided to go onto the Hall of Mirrors. We have never been, but in our minds it was going to be a fun adventure into the dark and haunted dwelling of the park.

#################################################################

The Hall of Mirrors looked faded and creepy in the dark. As we headed into the pitch dark hallway full of shadows reaching out to grab anything it could touch, mocking laughter echoed through the corridor. I pushed to the front of the line we were in and came up to the first mirror. Even throughout the years with no use, it still looked brand new, perfectly reflecting me in a clear image. Looking away from the mirror, I saw my friends start walking ahead and going down different paths leaving me alone. I started down my own path, a hallway with mirrors all around me, even below me. "Aiden." I turned quickly around to the whisper that seemed to come from every direction."Who's there?" I asked. Shaking my head, I resumed my walk down the corridor. Too much to drink, I thought. It was just my head messing with me."Don't leave me Aiden." I whipped my head to the left thinking that was where the voice came from, but all I saw was my reflection in the mirror. Calm down Aiden, I told myself. I needed to get out of here somehow. Turning around with the intent to go back the way I had came, but I came face to face with my reflection."No" I said. I banged on the glass, hoping that it was a trick and I could get back. But, no matter how hard I hit the glass it wouldn't budge. Sighing with frustration, I continued on my journey through the hallway but suddenly stopped when I noticed a smiling girl in the mirror opposite me. Her blonde golden hair cascaded on curls to her waist and framed her bright blue eyes."I love you Aiden, do you love me?" the question made me pause and look at her closely. Sure she was pretty, but who cared?"I don't love you, why would I ever love you?" After my reply, the girl's expression darkened for a second, but her smile returned. She stepped out of the mirror and glided to right in front of me. Instead of feeling warmth, I felt coldness radiating out from her. I tried to step back, but my feet were frozen in one spot. Then she smiled. Long canines grew from her mouth and the skin on her face peeled off in some places while turning an ugly blackish purple. I jumped back horrified not even realizing that I could move now."Why don't you love me Aiden?" She hissed. I fell and started scooting back as quick as possible. Then she was gone and all I saw was my reflection. I looked for an exit, but when I turned to my reflection I saw a huge black deformed figure where I should have been. I jumped back, knocking my head against the opposite wall. I touched my skin trying to remind myself that it was just a trick. "Look at your heart Aiden. See how you look from the inside. This is your true beauty." The girl's voice echoed through the hallway."Leave me alone!" I yelled at the mirrors getting up and refusing to look at my reflection as I tried to run away from the image that followed my every move. I risked a glance at the mirrors and stopped when I saw my reflection was normal. Just as I sighed in relief and was about to look away, I saw something fall. Looking closer, I realized that my face looked like ash and flecks of my skin began to fall off. "No!" I yelled clawing at my face. "Please," I begged. "Please let me out." I curled up in a ball and started to sob. Someone came up beside me."Look at yourself, Aiden. I promise you'll like what you will see." The voice promised. I lifted my head and looked into my own eyes. It was true, my face was fine. It was more than fine, it was beautiful. I couldn't look away from my reflection.

—————-

The girl smiled as she watched the boy entrapped by his own beauty. She was having fun messing with his head and causing pain like he did to his victims. They had thought that they had loved him, but they were wrong. He rejected them and broke their hearts into a million pieces. It wouldn't be long until he succumbed to the curse that she cast on him.It seemed like years, but it was only minutes until the boy began to fall into ashes. He didn't notice until the very moment he disappeared into a pile of cinder. The girl walked over to the pile and swept it up into a pot."Don't worry beautiful Aiden, your vibrancy shall live on." A small flower grew up from the ash. The petals bright white framing a yellow petal cup; the Narcissus flower.

A/N: Will be edited soon. Please leave comments! Especially on the beginning because I know I need to change it! :D