[015] touching the stars

┌───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┐
FIFTEEN
touching the stars
└───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┘

┌───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┐FIFTEENtouching the stars└───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┘

☆.。.:*  .。.:*☆

ONE YEAR LATER...

CELESTE sometimes wonders if her life has changed at all. Because to argue that point, the last year has seen more change than she could ever imagine, and not just for herself. That mission — the one Maverick bravely led them all into — challenged her like never before, forcing her to confront her past and her future in more ways than one...

Just looking around her proves her point. Ryan may be ascending up the ranks of the navy, and yet he has never appeared so at peace with himself. Maybe it has something to do with moving closer to his family, whom he has not let slip out of sight or mind since, just like the memory of Iceman. Or, surely, it must be helped by the mysterious 'Emily' they had all heard about — one minute, he was texting her back and arranging to meet and catch up, and the next they were being introduced to his girlfriend. Even Maverick and Penny have been going strong over the last year.

     Then there is Luisa, who only needed half of a technically-second-date to decide Bob was a keeper. The times Celeste does get to see the partners, they appear happier than ever, balancing their military careers with raising Gabriela (who is particularly fond of her new stepfather). Celeste is also no longer an honorary aunt, either, becoming the real deal once Quincy and Felicia introduced their daughter in the winter of last year. Olivia Sterling is a bouncing bundle of joy just like her father, and relishes in being held by her favourite aunt when she flies in to Florida.

     Quincy, himself, has stayed outside of a cockpit ever since the incident. Sometimes Celeste asks him if he misses it — "every day," he always replies. Nevertheless, his optimism doesn't waver in the face of being grounded, where he now implements his wisdom onto younger TOPGUN students as a soon-to-be instructor. She can almost envision her brother taking on the teaching methods of Maverick, and she has yet to decide whether that is a good thing or not.

     And Bradley, well...

     Celeste never let him go again after they walked off that carrier. Not when they do long distance during missions, geography splitting them apart only to come together better than ever. Not when their closeness would overwhelm them, purely out of the relief of finally being so close at last... and certainly not when, after running out of reasons why they should wait any longer, Bradley asked her a very important question. And Celeste said yes.

     The day had only been a small occasion — that's all it can be, when your boyfriend proposes right before a mission, and you have to scramble for something elegant to wear to a naval base. With their closest family and friends as witnesses, Celeste walked down the aisle on Manny's arm, where her best friend waited at the end. The universe had felt infinite as she walked out hand-in-hand with Bradley; and somewhere, they knew, Goose and Carole were smiling down upon them.