[001] the package deal

┌───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┐
ONE
the package deal
└───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┘

┌───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┐ONEthe package deal└───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────┘

☆.。.:*  .。.:*☆

"YOU'RE an idiot. You know that, right?"

"Since you reminded me five minutes ago, yes, I do."

"Just checking. Because you wouldn't think that, looking at you..."

     Celeste watches her younger twin roll his eyes in the plastic chair next to her, discomforted by the posture. She can recount a number of times where they have been in this exact predicament — going down together when Quincy threw a baseball at their grandmother's china vase, or their heads hung low outside the principal's office when the twins were caught doing each other's homework. But their careers in aviation that have since intertwined really take the cake. They certainly have plenty of stories from their time so far, most of them kicking off with a thrill-seeking Quincy and a horrified Celeste as his back-seater...

     Today is no different.

Now, they are pilot and WSO, waiting for a grilling from their Commander for something her adrenaline junkie brother started. It's not like she could help anything. She was in the back seat, trying to do her job.

     It's certainly not where she thought she would be in her thirties, still acting like she was her brother's ride or die. But then again... wasn't it a little bit true? Even if they weren't bound together by the same aircraft, Celeste thinks she would still take the fall for her brother, in spite of all his faults. Perhaps they would always be a package deal, much to the disdain of their colleagues or elders.

     As if to rub salt into the wound, a cluster of fellow aviators stroll by through the corridor, oozing with confidence and even a tinge of arrogance. One of them, a young woman with a sharp stare and a mischievous smile, notices the two twins sat there and flashes that said sly grin. "Bullseye, Cosmo. Buck's gonna give you a hard time again, huh?" Houdini asks — the call-sign obtained from her ability to out-manoeuvre the enemy, even in the stickiest situations, like an escape artist of the air. But like Quincy, she could also be a loose cannon. You never quite knew what she was going to pull out of the hat next. They certainly both reminded Celeste of someone...

     "Oh, me and Buck are good buddies now," Quincy shrugs, as if his commander is merely his grouchy High School teacher. "I can take him."

     "Of course, you wouldn't have to at all if you hadn't been so stupid," Celeste deadpans under her breath.

     "She's right, you know," agrees Moose, a stocky sweetcorn-blond pilot, rather un-creatively named after his Minnesotan roots.