48

Chop. Chop. Chop.

My basket dangles loosely in my hands as I watch Raw from afar. He's under the sun, glistening like a glazed donut as he swings his axe in the air and chops wood. The man looks so good that I consider cannibalism.

"Mrs?"

"Huh?" I turn and clutch my basket tighter.

A master stands there, looking concerned. He's one of the few that followed Raw and me out of camp after we declared we were retiring. There was a wave of shock and displeasure that shook up the camp to its core, but twenty of Raw's most loyal and curious men followed him to our new home. Only three of the men brought females with them. Since the rest are no longer consuming the emotion-damning drugs but aren't interested in counseling, I've been trying to convince them to go to the cities and date at least once a month.

They don't quite understand my advice. I tell them to smile at females to look less deadly, communicate that they're looking for a wife, and ask to spend more time with the females. Somehow, my advice is never understood. The masters fuck women in the cities, and come home empty-handed because they don't know how to follow up their flirting. The women think they're only one-night stands since they don't ask them out on dates, but I have hope.

"Are you alright?" The Master asks. "You are drooling."

I wipe my mouth. Surely enough, I've been salivating over my husband.

It's still odd using that title. I've only had it for a month. The wedding ceremony was small, and it came after many headaches. He insisted on giving me an elaborate, ridiculously flashy and expensive wedding that everyone far and wide could attend. I was extremely upset with the idea of sharing the most important day of my life with strangers that wish us ill. After seeing how drained I was, he agreed to a wedding of five— him, me, Yenni, her male, and a priest.

We were married under a full moon at night, the stars above us with my first home— Earth, twinkling somewhere in the sea of diamonds.

Now we're here, on this settlement that we have yet to name. Most of the day I run around with Yippy and Yenni at my heels as I complete chores. Yenni doesn't seem to understand that she's no longer my maid, but she insists that she follows me.

She has been less chirpy than usual, so I have been keeping a close eye on her. She moved out of Camp with her male— a master called Sollon that is taken by her. I'm glad it worked out for my friend, but I want to make sure she's as happy as I am.

"Mrs?" The Master repeats.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry. I was just... hungry?" I cringe. Who drools while standing and staring at the distance?

The Master looks concerned. "Were you recently bit by any wild animals? Some are rabid. Drooling can be a sign of infection."

Kill me now, please.

"I'm fine. Thanks!" I rush away.

Yenni finds me sharpening tools— a skill I was recently taught by my reluctant husband who feared my "delicate, twig-like fingers will get cut."

"Hey Yenni," I greet.

"Hey. I have bad news."

I lower the knife I'm sharpening. "What's that?"

"A new Master is hoping to join us. He thinks he found his soulmate, and it's that mean Entertainer that you fought at camp. He brought her with him."

I sit up straight, ready for round two. I've gone through a lot to establish my title of Raw's wife. I won't let my dominance be questioned by any power-hungry parasite. That is a thing of the past.