43

JOAN

The sound of skin meeting was like a ripple. I fall to the ground; the dirt kicking up and covering my nice top.

Three weeks ago, everyone would have laughed at me, but now they know better. I'm War's chosen, and most of the camp wants to be on my good side. So instead of laughter, I hear gasps.

I scramble to my feet and I take multiple steps away from the enraged woman to make sure she doesn't hit me again.

"I don't know what I did to offend you." I shake my head slowly. "But I won't let anyone abuse me. Being War's mother will not exclude you from that."

She shakes in anger, and her husband stands tall beside her.

I knew this meeting would be bumpy. I just didn't expect it to knock me on my ass.

She doesn't reply. No words can squeeze past her anger. It's like a mountain, and she's in the dark valley.

"Yenni, show them to an empty tent. Make sure they have everything they need to be accommodated."

"I want to see my son. Now!" War's mother screeches. "Who are you to direct me to go anywhere?"

"I am your son's and General's soon-to-be-wife."

She shouts to the skies for mercy and complains about how unfair it all is. She calls me a curse, a mistake.

"Save it, lady," I toss over my shoulder. "I've heard it all."

Her insults aren't even that creative. What happened to the days when I was called a devil-mutant that not even maggots deserved to eat?

Yenni stays behind to carry out my order, and I retreat to War's tent. I'll wait for him there. It's only a matter of minutes before he barges in and demands to know what happened.

I sit on our bed and rub my cheek. War doesn't disappoint. He comes in, tearing the entrance flap off the tent, and kneels in front of me.

"Let me see!"

"It's fine, War. It doesn't hurt."

"That wasn't a request," he counters.

I give up and let him examine my cheek.

With tender knuckles, he caresses my skin. "Damn it," he curses. "She must have lost her gold-loving mind. I apologize, Joan. My mother was out of line. I don't know why my parents are here. I didn't call for them."

I stay silent, because only he knows how to navigate this mess.

He stares at me for a long time before standing up. "Change into new clothes. Wear your best."

"What? Why?"

"We're going to the City. We will stay at a Hotel for two days. I didn't invite my parents here, so they're not staying in my camp."

Back to the City? Where the Queen that we insulted lives? I don't know if this is a good idea. Last time War went to the City, he tore it apart. The palace is probably still recovering.

"War..." I draw out warningly. "They're your parents. They should be able to stay in the camp, even if uninvited."

He tosses his head back and laughs. "I didn't give a fuck about invading the Queen's palace. You think I'll care about these two spoiled, bored, old people? Parents or not, I've been taking care of them with my blood and sweat since my teenage years. I have paid them back ten times over for raising me. I do what I want, and what I want is you."

It warms my heart and stinging cheek to hear him choose me over his flesh and blood, but I didn't ask him to do that for me.

"Get dressed," he repeats. "We're riding out in an hour. I have to wrap things up with my men and inform them of my absence."