Chapter 26

Evie walked into the sitting room only to find Becca snuggling comfortably in Zayn’s arms.  A movie was playing on the large flat screen TV but they were hardly paying attention, feeding each other popcorn and sneaking in kisses.

“Oh lord,” Evie gagged, turning around.  The couple only just noticed the blond as she left.  “Kill me now!”

“What the hell?” Zayn muttered, confused, getting up from his comfortable seat on the couch.  “What the hell’s wrong with her!?”

Becca shrugged, “I don’t know.  Maybe she’s on her period?”

“Is she on her period all the time then!?” Zayn exclaimed as he angrily gestured to the door that she’d walked through. 

“I don’t know,” Becca said softly and shook her head. 

Zayn clenched his fists and stormed out of the room and into the Evie’s where he found her sitting on her bed, a book in hand. 

“Excuse me?” Evie said with sarcastic kindness, “Would you mind leaving? I’m trying to read, thanks.”

“No, I’ll stay, thanks for asking though,” Zayn replied with equal sarcasm. 

Evie rolled her blue eyes causing Zayn to grit his teeth, his face turning even redder. 

“What’s your problem!?” he shouted and Evie stared at him, an eyebrow raised. 

“You’re cute when you’re angry,” the blond winked, causing Zayn to become a bit more distracted.  “And by cute I mean a complete dickhead.”

Zayn pivoted his lower jaw as he ground his molars together.  “Why the hell do you care what I think of you anyway?” Evie spat, narrowing her eyes.

Zayn inhaled sharply as the anger swelled in his body. 

“Why the hell do you have such a problem with me all the time?” Zayn asked with an equal amount of venom in his voice. 

“Oh um, gee, let me think,” Evie stated sarcastically, standing up as she put her hand on her head in mock thought.  “Maybe it’s because you’re a complete self-centered, douche bag that’s staying with a girl he doesn’t even like, that got to third base with a girl on the same day that he was supposed to take a different girl out on a date! Maybe it’s because you think every single fucking thing I think about is you!  I’ll tell ya what Zayn, maybe you should just leave me alone and then we’d both be happy!” Evie screamed, throwing her book down onto her bed, her face glaring up at Zayn.

“You know what!?” he yelled, his face an incredible shade of scarlet, “Fine!  Actually, no, better than fine, Amazing!  I won’t have to deal with your fucking bitching that way!”

Evie stepped back, exhaled dramatically and crossed her arms. 

“I’m the one bitching?” she asked calmly, poison lining her words.  “That’s rich coming from you!”

“Shut up!” Zayn countered.

“That’s the best you could come up with, Malik, very original,” Evie smirked.

“This,” Zayn glared at Evie as he walked out of her room, his breathing heavy, “This isn’t over.  This means war, Fletcher.”

“You’re on,” she replied, a mischievous glint in her blue eyes. 

“Fine.”

“Fine.”

“Good,” Zayn nodded.

“Just get the fuck out,” Evie responded, pointing at the door.

***

Maggie stood by the stove, her red hair tied up into a bun as the other nine slowly started to filter in for dinner. 

“Maggie?  Cooking?  Weird,” Harry exclaimed with a cheeky smirk, taking a seat.

“Shut it, Styles,” she replied, turning around with a large bowl of spaghetti in her arms.  She placed the red bowl onto the table and stood with her arms crossed, a wooden spoon gripped tightly in her right hand. “If any of you say anything about my cooking then I will whack you with this spoon, so help me.”

“I wouldn’t put it past her,” Niall muttered as he reached over Evie for a slice of bread.

Maggie quickly slapped his hand with the spoon.

“Have some manners and ask someone to pass you the fucking bread,” the ginger glared as she took a seat.  “God, can’t we have one civilized meal?”

“Probably not…” Delilah murmured as she placed her napkin on her lap.

“Fine,” Niall huffed, irritated, “Could you please pass me the bread, Evie?”

“I would be delighted,” Evie nodded, handing Niall the plate of bread. 

“Oh, Evie,” Zayn mocked, both of his black eyebrows raised.  “Be a doll and pass me the salt?”

Evie narrowed her blue eyes and replied sarcastically, “Be a doll, Zayn, and shut it.”

The rest of the table looked confused, Niall chuckled as he nearly choked on his bread crust.

“Uhm…” Louis muttered.  “Awkward.” 

“Here, Zayn,” Becca rolled her green eyes and handed her boyfriend the saltshaker.

“Thanks, Babe,” he cooed, repaying the brunette with a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

Niall and Evie both stopped what they were doing to let their upper lips curl in disgust.

Maggie let out an irritated sigh and picked up her spoon.

“Not. At. The. Table!” she shouted sternly as she whacked Becca and Zayn repeatedly.

The couple pulled apart, nursing their heads as they glared up at Maggie.