chapter thirteen

It’s known to my luck that anything I hope will happen; won’t.

A perfect example would be hoping that Mum would make an appearance on our doorstep, still half drunk and yelling. The real life result is that she isn’t.

I am standing in front of my father’s bedroom window. You can see down the whole street here and I keep scanning the footpath for evidence that a drunken women has been through there. It just looks the same as ever and the only puzzle I have solved is how Dad caught me those few times when I tried to sneak out. Looks like my grounding might be redeemed just so I can search for her, once again. Last time I found her passed out in the last booth of a small cafe in town.

“No sign?” Dad asks from the doorway.

“Nothing. Dad, maybe if we give it just one more day?”

“You know what could happen, and she would have found her way home by now. I would go into town, but I can’t leave the office, too much paperwork. You and Mary-Anne can take the bus into town and try and find her.”

“Uh, okay.”

“Thank you. I really appreciate it.” He then walks off and leaves me to scramble around and find Mary-Anne. I’m going to town.

~      ~     ~

I have never really been one for public transport so buses aren’t my favourite thing. I am barely touching the seat as an elderly lady behind me is clipping her toenails. I cringe with every snap. Mary-Anne, still resembling a zebra seems to be jumpy and tenses every time a toenail clipping flies off. This by far has to be my worse trip into town on the bus yet, not that it’s that long of a drive, but with so much rain the journey has been lengthened.

We all lurch upwards as the bus flies over a bump which brings toenail lady right to the back of my seat, her foot resting on the top of my seat. I edge even closer to the window and try not to look at her infected toes. On the other side of the seat Mary-Anne is trying to stop herself from gagging. I know there are two things she can’t stand – blood and toes.

While we approach town I still continue to skim my eyes over every piece of land I see. I can spot Mary-Anne doing the same out the other side. So far all I have is grass, puddles of water, a tree trunk, mud and small lots of rubbish. Soon the building start to thicken and I know we are close to the middle of town.

 My eyes frantically search down every side street and remain with the same result – nothing.

“She’s got to be here somewhere.” I mumble to myself.

“What was that?” Mary-Anne asks softly, still on edge.

“Oh, I was thinking.”

She turns back to looking out the window, with loose wisps of black hair floating around her face. My eyes squint with the glare that escapes through the clouds and I run a stressed hand over my barcode to which I have subconsciously exposed. I gasp and cover it immediately with hope that no one took any notice of it. Turning my gaze back out the window I find that we are almost close to our destination and keep searching the streets.

We pass the pub and I find no trace of her outside, or down the alley next to it. A bunch of what look like workmates walk along the sidewalk, all with smiles on their faces and I wonder what my friends are doing now. Probably not searching for their drunken mother.

It is surprisingly a busier day in town today – there are about ten people walking along the path huddled under colourful umbrellas. The lighter rain probably gave people the perfect chance to come outside.