Decision

'Let's get out of here, darling. Where nobody knows us. I want to be together forever.'

She looks at her - ten years older than her, but still lovely - and smiles. 'Yes.' Tears well up in her eyes.

'Oh, honey… Oh dear.' She says as she starts to cry. She hugs her and gently strokes her cheek. She calms down. 

Elisabeth takes a drag on her cigarette. She looks at her girlfriend. Maria. She wants to share her life with her.

'I recently bought a house,' She whispers.

'What? Are you going to move?' Maria looks away. 

'Not me,' Elisabeth whispers. She grabs her hair and plays with it. 'We.'

'We?'

'Yes. You are coming along with me, honey. I'm not leaving you behind.'

'Are we going to live together?' Maria whispers hoarsely. A tear drops down her cheek.

'Yes, my dear Maria. And maybe, over time, we can get married too.'

'Marry?' She whispers. 'Oh my god…'

'C'mon, go home and pack your things!' Elisabeth encourages her.

She gives her a kiss. 'See you.'

She heads home that night. Her parents scold at her, telling her they wish they never had her. She doesn't care anymore. She’s leaving tonight. They will never see her again.

As she packs her things, she looks at the picture on her nightstand. Her with her older brother James.

James moved to Ireland two years ago. She misses him. But he got the abuse she gets now. But she misses him so much.

James told her to take good care of herself before he left.

*flashback*

She and James were very close. Since they were the two most hated children of the four, they found comfort in each other.

James was ten years older than she was. She idolized him. He was her hero.

But James was away very often. He went out with his friends or with some girls. 

When it was cold, they slept in the same bed to keep each other warm. And when they were home alone together, James asked her very intimate questions about girls. 

Of course she had told James that she was a lesbian. He reacted very well. He already knew it, he saw her staring at women so fondly. 

James was a vampire. He was born like that. Maria idolized him a lot. Especially when he performed his hypnotic powers. 

James was sent away by her parents. They didn’t want to live with a serial killer.

'I'm not leaving, I'm not leaving Maria here.'

Her father pulled out a wooden stake. 'Get the fuck out of here, or I'll pierce your heart!'

James still didn’t budge. Her father tried to pierce his heart, but James was stronger. He threw him against the wall.

'Fine, I’ll leave,' he said.

Maria watched as he packed his things. She cried. James saw it and got over to her.

All she could say was something she never said before: 'James, I love you…'

'I love you too, Maria.' He hugged her. 'You're my sister. I will never forget you. You are the best sister anyone can wish for.'

'Can you please hypnotize me?' Maria asked. 

'Yes.' He did so and they had fun for the last time.

*end of flashback*

'Yes.' She dries her tears and continues packing her things.

Her little stuffed animal, her writing set, the book Elisabeth gave her, her necklace she got from her grandmother.

Hey, that's that dress! That dress she wore on her first kiss!

She puts it on. She takes her mother's brush and does her hair. 

It's time for a new Maria. No more poor Maria. Beloved Maria. 

She looks at her sleeping family.

'Fuck you,' she whispers. 'Fuck all of you. Go rot in fucking hell.' She spits at them and then grabs her suitcase and leaves. 

She heads back to her house, happier than ever. She cries her heart out.