Ch. 14 - Treachery of Time

Allison pulled Sephy into an upright position. Even when she slept in a ratty hospital chair, she looked picture perfect.

Sephy fluttered her eyes and rubbed her back.

"Is Rob all right?"

"He's still asleep. Anna called me this morning and told me what happened. Thank God you guys were there. I don't know that I'd remember what to do under pressure; the last time it happened I was four."

"The doctors want to keep him under observation for the next two days. I'm going to stick around, but since you're here now, I'd like to spend the time alone."

Allison was perplexed. Was it because she was awake hours before she usually was, that she was hearing what she thought she was hearing? Sephy was going to stay with her brother at the hospital, but she wanted to be alone.

"Say again?" Allison asked.

"I realize this puts you in a difficult situation but could you please not tell him that I'm here? If he asks, tell him I was sorry but I had to leave."

"Are you sure? I know it'd mean a lot to him if he at least knew you were nearby."

"I hate to ask you to lie to him, and it pains me to think of him waking up to find I've left without saying goodbye, but I don't want him to know I'm near. I need this for both of our sakes. You'll be here today to keep him company, right?"

"Yes, I'll stay with him."

"I'll arrange for my friends to visit tomorrow. Tell him to feel better and that I'll see him soon."

Like a dealer in a casino, Sephy gathered her stack of multicolored passports fanned out on Rob's bed. She stuffed them, along with her cell phone, into her purse.

"Citizen much?"

"You never know when you might need your passport."

Or all ten of them, Allison thought.

Sephy lightly touched the sat monitor on Rob's finger. She left before he stirred.

"Allison?" he moaned.

"How are you feeling?"

"Normal, tired. Where's Sephy?"

"She said she had to leave, but that she'd be back in a few days."

His reaction was as Sephy had feared.

"She was here all night," Allison added. "She didn't leave your side until this morning when I arrived."

A whole night was a long time to ponder the hand she played in his temporary loss of life. Rob couldn't help but think that her sudden disappearance had something to do with it.

"Did you really bungee jump last night?"

"I did, and, Alli, it was the most electrifying thing I've ever done."

"Apart from you almost dying," she noted.

"It was worth the risk."

"That's because you survived. What were you thinking? You're usually so careful."

"Don't go all 'Mom' on me. It was a present from Sephy. She didn't know, and I couldn't resist the opportunity. I genuinely thought I could calm myself down so my heart wouldn't go haywire. I'm sorry I took a chance like that."

Rob was visibly remorseful, more than Allison knew.

"I'm sorry too," she said. "I shouldn't presume to question you. Honestly, I admire you for having what it takes to go through life with that constant awareness of your own mortality. It must be exhausting."