Ch. 2 - Diplobrats

Deion was already reclined in a captain's chair, sipping his thermos. His crossed knee against the rim of the harkness table, he was on the verge of laughter at the sight of Sephy.

"I fail to see what could possibly be funny about this teenage wasteland," Anna commented.

"Sephy," Deion burst, "I assumed you'd find a quiet alcove of the library, or a bathroom stall in which to eat like all the other loners. You looked to be having a pleasant enough lunch, at least until the skirted squawkers and crude ruffians barged in."

"Not everyone can be as sweet as you, Deion," teased Sephy. "That fact will make leaving here infinitely easier."

"There are good people in this school. You should give them a chance to get to know you," urged Leo.

"It's different for you. At least you have the option to stay. If only I weren't..."

Anna cleared her throat. The floating heads of their classmates bobbled across the windows, heading toward the open door.

They paraded into the room, each face more surprised than the next to see all four diplobrats together at once. Tentatively, the students took the seats across them and filled outwards from there.

Not a second before the bell, Rob shuffled hastily into the room, stuffing a cord into his pocket with one hand and dragging his bag behind him with the other. He scanned the excessively-crowded table and took the only available seat, next to Anna.

The girl on the other side removed her soiled sweater from the chair, thankful for the seating change the diplobrats had inspired. She sat up and crossed her legs.

"Guess we're neighbors now, Rob."

She twirled her platinum blond hair.

"Guess so," he replied shortly.

As he wriggled his chair from under the table, Anna scrunched her face in unabashed annoyance. Sephy scolded her hoarsely.

"Stop, Anna."

Despite having less elbow room, almost everyone was pleased to have the diplobrats in their class.

Their teacher settled into a low corner stool in the back. In his late twenties, Dr. Presley Kendall wore a button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled at the elbows. It was rumored, to the chagrin of his female pupils, that he had an archaeologist girlfriend tucked away on a dig in Utah. His black hair was slicked back like a GQ centerfold's, and he balanced an old edition of the Aeneid atop his corduroy kneecap.

"As you can see, we have new students joining our discussion. Given their past extensive education, the literature department has foregone the lottery system in their placement in the junior-senior seminars. Though our class was at its capacity, it was suggested that they would be most benefited by this particular subject matter. They also have demonstrated expertise in the fields of mythology, which the department has determined would be best shared with our group."

Sephy looked down at the crooks in the table's wooden surface. Anna, Leo and Deion held their heads high at their glowing introduction.

Dr. Kendall adjusted his bold frames and opened to the dog-eared page.

"Let's dive in, shall we? What did you all think of Book IV?"

Anna responded before anyone else could.

"Dido got what she deserved."

"That is a strong statement to make about the woman who is considered to be the victim of the story," responded Dr. Kendall.